3 Phase hard wiring....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tugalis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I've got a Felder AF22 3 phase machine I picked up and looking to install it into the workshop.

It's doesn't have a cable with it so I just assumed I could pick up some cable and a 5 pin female plug, wire it up and I'm good to go....

The breaker box in the workshop doesn't have a plug. The unit needs to be hardwired in, like you do with a cooker.

Looks like I have this type of box.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/MEM-EXEL-550v-20A- ... nav=SEARCH

Is there a wiring diagram anywhere for what wires go to which sections? Looking at the pic I took yesterday I have a blue/black yellow and red wires visible. There is a connector in the top corner and an nut where the earth is connected to at the bottom.

Anyone wired something like this up before? Would prefer to not wait for a sparky just to wire this in.

Thanks,

T

If you are wiring it in then you need armoured cable from consumer unit (or trunking) to isolator. if using armoured then you need to terminate with a gland pack

Then you need suitable cable from isolator to machine. Ideally in conduit like metal or plastic copex, then you can terminate them neatly

I recently bought one of these which is solid for the price

http://www.qvsdirect.com/32a-440v-tp-n- ... r-isolator

3 phase wiring is either 4 cores: earth + 3 phases or 5 cores: earth + N + 3phases.

Colours cant be assumed, some machines just have 3 reds, some will have harmonised colours, some will be old colours. Be careful with confusing neutral with a phase.

earth is always connected permantently through the isolator. Neutral depends on the isolator, if its present then you should use an isolator that disconnects that too.

As always on a forum, above info is for advice only and the recommendation is to engage an electrician!

I would always say if you are not sure get a sparks to do it.

I would also say it you want it on a plug I would change the switch for some thing like this https://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/ ... ZYQAvD_BwE

This a 16 amp one you may need a 32amp one depending on what the machine needs cable wise.

Also you will need to find out what size cable you need from the fuse box to the machine as well.

The existing cable to the switch you have may not be heavy enough.

I would perhaps put a picture or 2 one here first so we can advise

Hmmmm....ok.

This is the box I currently have installed, which runs to the main 3 phase consumer unit on the other side of the workshop...

20170907_170601_zpsjdbjraen.jpg

20170907_170555_zpsvovcwpk9.jpg

For all small machines I always connect wi th a cable that has a plug and socket that attaches to both the mains outlet and the machine. That way, if the cable every gets damaged / I sell the machine / I need to move the machine it's very easy.

I use an isolator on the wall followed by one of these

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/se ... ng-sockets

I generally use 6mm 4 or 5 core SY cable for making up the extension lead. I also tend to use 32A connectors / isolator so that nothing is ever under rated.

On the wall the outlet must be female, ie No pins you can touch. On the machine it's a plug, with exposed pins.

Afraid I can't speak to the legal side - ships have their own rules, but as I'm sitting here wiring a load of 250A pigtails this seemed an appropriate question.

a) Why hard wire it when a nice plug/socket/isolator can be used? I rate the Mennekes power top range fwiw.
b) Earth I imagine is easy to identify but just take a little care to identify the neutral - wiring colours don't mean much on 3 phase.
c) Phase rotation is easy; connect your phases in whatever order seems right, it won't be, the machine will run backwards then swap any two of the phase wires around - hey presto machine runs in correct direction.

We usually use artic rated cable for wander leads - looks like regular pvc but remains flexible and is quite robust. However as I said building regulations are out of my area.

Tugalis":275clnao said:
Hmmmm....ok.

This is the box I currently have installed, which runs to the main 3 phase consumer unit on the other side of the workshop...

20170907_170601_zpsjdbjraen.jpg~original

20170907_170555_zpsvovcwpk9.jpg~original

Hopefully that has fixed the photos

Tugalis, I suggest you find a new photo host. Photobucket is a dead duck these days !!

First job is to open up the plug and see if there is a neutral connected inside. If there is open up the machine and see if the neutral wire goes anywhere. If not fine but if the machine uses a neutral and some European sourced machine do use it for the control wiring then you will have to provide it. Wait for a spark to change your isolator for a 4 pole one. Yours is three pole

If you need no neutral then wire a 5 pin socket to the output of you existing isolator, 3 phases and Earth and plug in the machine and fire it up.

Beware of the old adage that if you have to ask then you possibly don't understand what you are doing!
Take care. 3 phase bites!!

Hi Myfordman,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I have not replied sooner, things have been busy!

I completely understand your comment about not knowing, I was a sparkies mate for a couple of years but went into surveying instead so fully understand the repercussions of getting it wrong. I will have a look but if I cant see what you are talking about then I will give my old boss a shout and see if he can come over to have a look. Might be worth giving him a shout anyway just to make sure I don't get it wrong, the last thing I want to do is blow myself or my machine up!

Thanks again for the help!

Back