3 phase converters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allubo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know of any decent priced 3 pase 415v converters for a 230v 13amp supply.

I'm waning to run a griggio panel saw with a 4kw motor, I was going to just switch to a single phase motor but there's more electrics to it than just the motor and I don't know enough about it to reword it all.

Thanks

Alex

Allubo":1wq2u2en said:
Hi, does anyone know of any decent priced 3 pase 415v converters for a 230v 13amp supply.

I'm waning to run a griggio panel saw with a 4kw motor, I was going to just switch to a single phase motor but there's more electrics to it than just the motor and I don't know enough about it to reword it all.

Thanks

Alex
Your right about not switching to single phase, it's not just the electrics, 4Kw single phase is not the same as 4Kw 3 phase. 3 phase has a lot more torque, so to switch to an equivalent single phase you'd need over 6Kw which as you've propably already sussed there is no such motor that size in single phase.

As to inverters etc it depends on whether the motor is duel voltage (look on the motor detail Plate) or not as to which type to go for. Have a look for digital ones although they are pricey ( I have one and very good & not expensive to run), then have a look at rotary ones, they are generally cheaper (not by much as the Kw increases) but are more costly to run and can be noisy (as essentially you are running another motor to generate the 3rd leg of 3 phase).

Hope this helps.

If your just planning on getting the one 3 phase machine then an inverter would be fine, they are priced according to KW. Alternatively you could get a static converter which are cheaper than rotary ones but static ones do not create the full power of the motor being ran. They come up regularly on ebay. To buy something like a transwave static for your purpose would be a few hundred quid. I am useing a transwave static 5.5kw and it runs everything I have. If I need more power I can run a bigger motor simultaneously and this creates a rotary converter.
Mark

I was looking at static one firstly because of the noise levels etc and the single motor use. I have come across the clarke pc60, it's a 4kw static converter suited for motors. I dont think I'll ever use the saws full capacity until I move to a proper unit, I use my festool ts75 for ripping timber to keep the arbor on the dim saw true so I'm not weary of the converter allowing the saw motor to burn out.

Has anyone used one of these?

I like the idea of keeping the converter inside the saw housing too.

Alex

Allubo":1y2f9g5m said:
I was looking at static one firstly because of the noise levels etc and the single motor use. I have come across the clarke pc60, it's a 4kw static converter suited for motors. I dont think I'll ever use the saws full capacity until I move to a proper unit, I use my festool ts75 for ripping timber to keep the arbor on the dim saw true so I'm not wearing of the converter allowing the saw motor to burn out.

Has anyone used one of these?

I like the idea of keeping the converter inside the saw housing too.

Alex

FWIW, static converters are not very energy efficient as the other two types I mentioned previously and you'll lose about 30% of the motor power, some of the earlier & bigger designs ones can also interfere with radio & tv transmissions (any neighbours close by ?). Can you afford the performance hit when cutting thick hard section timber ?.

Hmm, I'll have to weigh it up, I don't use my dim saw for rough processing of timber, mainly sheet material and final cross cutting and mitres, I would only buy a new static converter, (not and early model) 3.75/4hp left after power loss is still a good power for a saw, it's mainly the motor protection I'm worried about.
Got some thinking to do.

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex, I have a Transwave rotary converter and can't fault it. I would also think of what other machines you may want in the future and make the right purchase now.

..there was a thread on here a while back about doing it with capacitors.. I think from a book Electric Motors, Jim Cox..or something similar.

He seemed very happy with it.

Latest posts

Back