• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

3 phase converter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Wallaceandsons

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking at a 3 phase machine at a great price. It's 400V, 635W machine. What converter would I need and would this be an electricians job to install in the workshop? Or does it simply plug into the wall?

Attachments

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
If you have three phase power it is just a plug into the wall. I assume you do not.

Most UK properties have a single phase 240v supply. The machine requires 400v 3 phase. To make the machine work you have options:
- replace the motor with a 240v single phase motor. Also replace the electrics, ie switch. £200 in parts.
-purchase a rotary phase converter that will supply 3phase 400v from 240v.You then plug the main into this. Logistically simple but most expensive option c. £650.
- require the machine from star to delta and install an inverter variable frequency drive. Likely the cheapest option, but also the most technically complicated. £100 in parts IF the motor can be swapped star to delta, if not swappable then not an option.

options 1 and 3 will get expensive if you get an electrician to do it as it’s a good few hours work.