3 phase converter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallaceandsons

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking at a 3 phase machine at a great price. It's 400V, 635W machine. What converter would I need and would this be an electricians job to install in the workshop? Or does it simply plug into the wall?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-153848_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211127-153848_eBay.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 11
If you have three phase power it is just a plug into the wall. I assume you do not.

Most UK properties have a single phase 240v supply. The machine requires 400v 3 phase. To make the machine work you have options:
- replace the motor with a 240v single phase motor. Also replace the electrics, ie switch. £200 in parts.
-purchase a rotary phase converter that will supply 3phase 400v from 240v.You then plug the main into this. Logistically simple but most expensive option c. £650.
- require the machine from star to delta and install an inverter variable frequency drive. Likely the cheapest option, but also the most technically complicated. £100 in parts IF the motor can be swapped star to delta, if not swappable then not an option.

options 1 and 3 will get expensive if you get an electrician to do it as it’s a good few hours work.

Latest posts

Back