3 M dustmaster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Have just been lucky enough to have got one of these. It is second hand but with a new battery and filter fitted
what a differance, I had a "Trend Pro" which I bought and could not use as it was too heavy and noisey for my
delicate neck. :roll:

The battery pack on these is worn around the waist with a lite piece of rubber tube tha comes up to a face mask and hood, you wear the battery behind you and its fitted with an odour filter in case you have an accident :lol: :lol:
When you have it on thers very minimal noise and is the same as wearing a cap or hat as the case may be.

They are expensive of course :roll: But I was able to trade my Trend for it so am very happy :mrgreen: .
Will try to put a picture up ASAP.

can you source filters?

I'm fine with the Trend, but then again an 18" prop's neck didn't take long to get back into shape to handle it!

Do these have impact safe visors too? I've come across some in the past (not necessarily this make) that appear to be good for dust but the visors aren't up to the impact protection standards which I think are either EN166 or Z87.1. Some respirators offer different visor options for different environments too i.e. dust, chemical, impact, hot metals etc.

[This is what I got the picture is not the best.
have just been down in me Studio 8) sanding and had no problems
attachment=0]3M dustmaster.JPG[/attachment]

Attachments

• 3M dustmaster.JPG
    3M dustmaster.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 1,056
Sorry about this but I never know whats going to come out on the page and afraid to add more words in case I lose everything.
Paul the frame has written on it HT-103. EN1835-LDH2 EN12941-TH2. what all that means I have no idea but I can go do a bit of turning without having to lie down every hour or so.

Jumps, Ihave a 19 1/2 neck an the only propping I done was in Bars around parts of the world. But it really is so lighter than The Trend and Power Cap which I also have.
I think Axminster do it but it costs . I know you cant buy new lungs .

Eugene.
Great buy but that helmet isn't impact resistant for larger pieces of wood flying off the lathe.It is ok for sanding and doing small items.
This is the one you want if you can get em still as new version is now out and i think this model has been discontinued??

I've the same one, Boysie - It's the business.
I got it after talking to Chas at the Gloucs bash last year. My little un' tried on his Trend / JSP? and it was just too heavy for her scrwany little neck.
re filters - I did a raid on ebay and bought a few, just in case stock dried up - but have since spoken to a nice lady at 3M and she says they have discontinued the mask and respirator, but still doint filters and will be for some time.

I used it when taking down and angle grinding a brick wall the other day and it dealt with everything I 'threw' at it, quite literally - very reassuring.

Greg

I have a couple of these, I was lucky enough to find them at a car boot for £35 for two new units and a used one. As you can imagine I didn't haggle. I have one on charge and use the other. I find them much better than the old Mk1 trend shield I had. Only one problem if you pump it goes straight in your face #-o
Mark

I have something similar by another maker that has EN166, a North Junior A-VL. The breathing apparatus can be found second hand in the wild, it's called a North Airbelt, and it can also be used for welding helmets. The visor has a great view because it's clear all the way down around the chin and up till your ears.

The only problem is that the rechargeable batteries are specific, only sold by the maker and really expensive. A new one cost me around UKP 100 (EUR 140).
north.jpg

Attachments

• north.jpg
    north.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,000
thanks to all who offered help in anyway.
Paul J. good to hear from you again thanks to you and Jurriaan I like the look of the helmets, but would I be getting back to the weight issue with them. :?:
Wallace ,count your self very lucky @ £35.00 you cant go wrong.

I would be intrested to know if those new helmets are as light as the hood that I have.

Of course, it weighs more than a 'plain' face shield, but the extra weight caused by the extraes: replacable visor protection (a very thin piece of clear plastic) and dust shield (an elastic piece of cloth) are negligible. The airduct over one's head is somewhat more substantial, but it's weight surely isn't measured in pounds.

I only use it when sanding, and I find it's comfortable. The weight of the breathing apparatus is at my waist, the connecting hose is long enough to allow freedom of movement yet not so long that it snags on anything it encounters and the noise is nothing compared to the 3HP cyclone.

If it used regular rechargable batteries, I'd recommend it to anyone I knew.

Thanks Eugene.
Yes the helmet is a little more heavier than the one you have as there is more plastic giving you the extra protection,but it is no where near the weight of the Trend,it is very comfy to wear once you get it sorted,but also be careful if you manage to get one as the air pipe did have a different fitting on the battery pack to the helmets when i got mine,it got changed some where along the line.
You also need to make sure you have the correct filters for wood dust as alot were used for welding.
The newer one is the Versaflo,which is completely different all round,so make enquiries before you buy?

As ever Paul thanks for your imput will have a look at the helmets I think I know of someone who is getting one .
Had a look at your website some lovely stuff on there. God Bless .

Eugene, the higher impact 3M hoods are all about 440-450 grams in weight.

My original thread when I acquired one

For comparison:
PowerCap IP 570 gram
Trend Airshield pro. 1115 gram

Both the above are to Eye impact EN166:2002 1 3 B

If you can identify the specific part number of your Head piece you may find it is also to EN166 for eye and face protection, all be it Low energy impact as opposed to hard framed units with polycarbonate shields which are Medium impact.
See here for an example

Chas, just read your post and will check out the availability of your suggested hood .
I know it would be easy for me to say but sure nothing ever fly's off MY lathe. :shock:
But I really dont want to check out this ouder filter I have fitted :roll: .

Dont know how I missed your original thread on this subject, would have saved me
the price three times over if I had read it.
Thanks again.

Eugene, just make sure you don't go purchasing something that is no better than what you have like the link I pointed to, no point, what youve got will certainly save your lungs and provides some protection to the face.
If you see something at the right price and similar to the higher spec ones on that companies site and think it might be an improvement on impact protection then point one of us to the link and see if we can confirm specification.

I thought the price I had to pay was eye watering at the time but the current replacement patterns are even worse.

Still would bite the bullet and buy similar if I had to replace though, the waist mounted filter unit is so much more useable all round.

Latest posts

Back