3 in 1 sack barrows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience of these 3 in 1 sack barrows. Having managed for years without anything except a wheelbarrow I decided I need to get some sort of general purpose trolley to move stuff around both the workshop and garden to save my back...

Looking on screwfix you can get a standard sack barrow rated for 300kg for £40.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-hand-truck-300kg/3602p

But they also do a 3 in 1 for £110 rated at 350kg, made of aluminium.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3-in-1-hand-truck-350kg/4114p

Which although being nearly 3 times the price it could be much more useful but I’m really not convinced you could say lift a 150kg machine on the plate as a sack barrow?

I also visited my local machine mart and they pointed me at this but didn’t have one in the shop to view! Trouble is weights 21kg before you even start which will make it a little harder to get in the car?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cst12-industrial-sack-truck/

Anyway, the question was does anyone have one of these type of barrows and think they’re the dogs doo dah or do they wish they had a standard sack barrow and separate trolley?

Thanks

Richard

Had one of the three in one type a few years ago, I think its in the barn unused, the problem is the solid small diameter wheels they do not handle garden type terrain, any dip or lump they have difficulty moving on, that means any type of garden, a sack barrow with pneumatic tyres moves much easier especially if it has large wheels.

I can't comment directly on the 3 in 1 but I have a normal sack barrow that I use a lot. The main issue with them I find is that the loading plate only extends so far so if you are moving something the shape of a washing machine for example you usually need assistance to tip it back. Once the weight is balanced they are fine. The 3 in 1 also will have this issue initially but the advantage that it is self supporting once tipped back.
The other issue to consider is that the casters on the 3 in 1 will require a smooth surface to run whereas the pneumatic tires are more forgiving over gravel, rough ground or grass for instance. (I replaced mine with puncture resistant tyres as my inner tubes were almost impossible to repair as the rubber wasn't smooth)

As said above you need good smooth flat ground for the casters to work
The twin handle design tends to lend itself to pushing around which I don't find great

These however are brilliant

https://www.screwfix.com/p/p-handle-hig ... 50kg/8802p

Really tall so lots of leverage so can move really heavy items lend themselves well to being pulled one handed can be laid flat and loaded up that way similar to the 3in one type can put long items on and strap them down and hold the end of the load to move them

I have never used the 3 in one truck but I do have a decent steel tube sack barrow which I use a lot, the only downside being the weight when lifting into or out of the van. I have had various other trucks but they had solid wheels and generally have not stood up to heavy use, however they were lighter and some of them folded. I had one with castors so it could be laid down but it was hopeless on anything but a very smooth floor and the heavier the weight the more hopeless. I have had similar problems with solid wheel wheelbarrows.

Cordy":3eu1ods1 said:
Not what you asked I know, but did you see
this

Yes, looked good for the garden but not so good for heavy items on the ground, I was thinking a sack barrow allows you to get underneath without having to lift (just tip) and then move it.

Richard

Hlsmith":6zd0hv4z said:
As said above you need good smooth flat ground for the casters to work
The twin handle design tends to lend itself to pushing around which I don't find great

These however are brilliant

https://www.screwfix.com/p/p-handle-hig ... 50kg/8802p

Really tall so lots of leverage so can move really heavy items lend themselves well to being pulled one handed can be laid flat and loaded up that way similar to the 3in one type can put long items on and strap them down and hold the end of the load to move them

That looks interesting, although it probably doesn’t work so well has a standard sack barrow when pushing?

I dont find a problem with it going forwards if anything you can push it with your stomach to giving extra force
Also as you have the Extra leverage it's easy to tip the barrow back whilst holding the load on whereas the twin handle ones just try to pull sideways

This one from Costco is good. Big rubber wheels for uneven ground and 450kg rated.
On offer for the next few days too.
1a1ab916800e139d7f604da081330903.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My lightweight 3 in 1 trolley is over 30 years old. Might be Black & Decker but the labels have long gone. Made of square blue tube, similar to a Workmate with pivoting handles secured by bolts & wingnuts so no tools required.
It's been well overloaded & had a hard life but just keeps going. I did treat it to some new wheels & castors.
Impossible to move on rough ground & awkward but not impossible to transport in the car.

Don't even consider any type of barrow that doesn't have pneumatic tyres.
The difference in using solid wheels against pneumatic wheels, is night and day, chalk and cheese!

Bod

Bod":1klvhf3b said:
Don't even consider any type of barrow that doesn't have pneumatic tyres.
The difference in using solid wheels against pneumatic wheels, is night and day, chalk and cheese!

Bod
Yes definitely pneumatic.
I've been using a cheapo £25 ish (can't remember) for years.
Very handy. Can just get a 352 Bandsaw on it with a bit of weight on my shoulder. It's fine for a one man shop occasional use but wouldn't survive a more industrial environment I guess.
I used it for heavy 2x3ft concrete slabs, 2 at a time, was OK.
PS just had a look - mine is the cheaper 150kg red Screwfix. Standard Duty Hand Truck 150kg (6374P)

Back