3 in 1 oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seascaper

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
3 in 1 oil use to come in a lovely tin with a wonderful nozzle that lasts for ever. The current bottle is a nasty white plastic bottle and the most infuriating top which comes off when you pull it to open. I am constantly having to replace this nasty plastic cap but perhaps this is a design to use it up quicker. The solution would be to decant it into another canister, does anyone have a solution. You might have memories when Worcester sauce redesigned their bottle with the result of too much too soon - they quickly sorted it out after a lot of flack. Perhaps 3 in 1 may come up with a better solution.

Regards
8501B9D8-3D05-4E44-82B7-FDD61B820D51.jpeg
776EBE25-F6B4-4E29-97C2-C7420F2FEE85.jpeg
4DA5E6AB-98F4-4723-B188-C4B28CD42C99.jpeg
3327B2B9-20CA-44F8-B2EA-E885D19241BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Use a much cheaper oil that does the same job?
Sadly, it comes down to cost.
A small white polyethylene blow moulded bottle is cheaper than a tin and is easier / faster to fill on a production line.
The injection moulded cap and nozzle is a one piece moulding - probably folded closed in the mould before ejection
Having designed packaging for a large multinational for a number of years, I doubt you would have much luck in instigating a user friendly change.

Perhaps the plastic bottle could be designed so that the whole complete top does not come off when you open it.

Last edited:
Car oil in a washing up bottle? Or in a smaller bottle if portability is required.

I just put it in an old school oil can now, the ones with the metal tube spout and the thumb pump, the plastic bottles are poo.

Too easily toppled those bottles and gone un-noticed the oil will, from my experience, leak out. As mentioned above old school oil can. Metal, 200ml with flexi spout.

Last edited:
I find on a lot of jobs you can't get the precision required with the std container so most of the oil gets decanted into needle tip bottle saves a lot of mopping up excess oil.

Attachments

• 41m9zEkbX-L._AC_SL1066_.jpg
    41m9zEkbX-L._AC_SL1066_.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
Hello,
3 in 1 oil use to come in a lovely tin with a wonderful nozzle that lasts for ever. The current bottle is a nasty white plastic bottle and the most infuriating top which comes off when you pull it to open. I am constantly having to replace this nasty plastic cap but perhaps this is a design to use it up quicker. The solution would be to decant it into another canister, does anyone have a solution. You might have memories when Worcester sauce redesigned their bottle with the result of too much too soon - they quickly sorted it out after a lot of flack. Perhaps 3 in 1 may come up with a better solution.

Regards View attachment 137512View attachment 137513View attachment 137514View attachment 137515
I’m about 3 drops away from emptying a tin of 3 in 1 I bought about 25 years ago (a little goes a long way)and has survived 4 house moves - so I’m a little concerned to hear what you say - any good alternative (with working tops)?

My solution was to track down an old can and refill it (blunt hypodermic - slow but only done every few years!).

3 in 1 oil use to come in a lovely tin with a wonderful nozzle that lasts for ever. The current bottle is a nasty white plastic bottle and the most infuriating top which comes off when you pull it to open. I am constantly having to replace this nasty plastic cap but perhaps this is a design to use it up quicker.
The Ba'st'rds :mad:
And I'll wager the nasty plasticy type bottle is bigger, but the oil of lesser quantity.

I've been using something very similar to this for about 25 years.

Are you sure you're not Scottish ???. you can refill it you know.

Last edited:
Strikes me that any push fit clicky type is doomed in an oil can, fine in the factory but useless as soon as oil finds its way down the inside of the spout.

A small self tapping screw driven through the side of the fitting would solve the immediate problem of it dropping off and the soft plastic would sell-heal around the thread.

My 3 in-one type oil came from the local hardware shop, its not actual 3 in one but seems to be the same light oil, its in a green bottle with both a screw on nozle and a nice plastic screw on cap which has lasted very well indeed, Im away at the moment so cannot check out the brand for you. For genral oiling I have an old pump oil can filled with whatever old engine type oils I have “in stock” the lawnmower, chainsaw etc get a few squirts of this every time I use them. In fact Ive found it, still for sale in the same bottle,its called 151 multi purpose oil, and in our local shop its 99p for a 100ml bottle
Steve.

Last edited:
Bring back the old metal can seems to be the cry from many like me who like the product but not the cheap white plastic bottle that leaks.
Oh well......

Latest posts

Back