• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

3 cornered bowl problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Shay Vings

Established Member
Reaction score
I realise anything with corners is tricky, not only for fingers but also to preserve the edges.

I mounted a 100mm cube between opposite corners and after creating a chucking spigot and remounting, I managed to turn the outside profile up to the edge/corners without much drama. However I am getting some massive catches hollowing the inside and I don't know where I am going wrong in tool presentation.

I have tried starting at the edge (ghost image) and moving towards centre and - in desperation - vice versa. Its part way in from outside to centre where the worst the catches are occurring.

Any tips, U - tube links?

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
how about filming yourself doing it and posting to you tube. i did this when i was trying to use the skew and the suggestions came flooding in :)

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
one thought would be that you are (naturally and normally) applying more cutting pressure on the inside than you did the outside - this is partially supported (no pun intended) by the position you are experiencing the most problems as this will probably be the largest pressure to air ratio; at the very tips it's natural to be trying to make very light cuts!

as I say, just a thought.

jpt

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont know if it will help but how I do it is here http://www.woodturned.co.uk/html/3_sided_bowl.html

One thought is that if you are cutting towards the centre it is probably the right hand wing that is catching try altering the presentation of the gouge and keep an eye on that corner when cutting.

john

Latest posts