3/4" steel pipes for US clamp heads?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooka

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some pipe clamp heads (specifically, these ones) that I am trying to source 3/4" steel pipes for (threaded on one end). Such pipes seem to be readily available in the US, but don't seem to be available on this side of the water, from what I have found so far.

I am currently investigating getting some 8ft lengths of pipe made up, but before I go that route, does anyone know whether such pipes are available in the UK or Ireland?

Thanks.

I have the 1/2" version, and used Galv. electricl ducting. You will need to find someone with the die to thread the ends if you want to alter the length (it comes in 3m lenghts). You can also get in Ireland what is called "Black" pipe, IIRC it is "old-fasioned" gas pipe.

Where in Ireland were you thinking? I know where both can be got in Cork if it's any help??? Also, I have access to dies.

Les

Pooka,

should have looked at your profile! in dublin - not so sure about up there, but I have a relation up there in the central heating business, so could ask him if you're stuck.

Les

Hi Pooka,

Your best bet is to go to an electrical wholesalers (check Yellow pages for your area)
Steel tubing such as this was used extensively as conduit for cabling in factories, industrial settings etc to keep it from damage, and I assume this is still used and readily available.

cheers,
Andy

Go to any good plumbers merchants and ask for 3/4" barrel, it comes in 10ft lengths, threaded both ends and with one straight connector.

Or if you want to pay more Axminster do a set of various lengths.

I have the necassary die stock to cut additional threads so make up lengths to suit but a freindly plumber may be able to help

Don't use electrical conduit it is much too thin walled and not solid drawn

Jason

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried general builders providers so far, but none of them are able to supply it or point me in the right direction. I'll try some plumbers merchants though.

Les, I am based in Dublin these days but am actually a Corkman (I snuck into Dublin when no-one was looking :) ). If you could let me know where in Cork I can find these pipes then I'll try there when I am next down, if I can't get them here in Dublin first. Thanks.

I'm amased that you are struggling for 3/4 black pipe. Try steel stockholders they should stock it but may have minimun order quantities. Failing that look for a fabricator, they will almost certainly have some. Although I think a Plumbers merchant would be my first try.

Bean

Try G T Garton Ltd on the Nangor Rd , Tel 01-4604200. If not they should point you in the right direction.

Noel

Noel":17hszza9 said:
Try G T Garton Ltd on the Nangor Rd , Tel 01-4604200. If not they should point you in the right direction.

Noel

Thanks a lot Noel. They were able to pass me onto a company (Hevac) which does sell them here in Dublin alright.

Now there is the little matter of them selling the pipes in 6.1 metre lengths only, so I'll either have to borrow a looong car or get busy with a hacksaw outside their front door! :roll: Ah well, my sawing arm would benefit from the exercise.

Also, these lengths are only threaded on one end (I am presuming here that the thread will match the clamp heads, but I'll bring a clamp head with me when I go out there to make sure), so I'll either have to get the other end threaded or else end up with over 3m of unusable pipe. Is it possible to thread 3/4" steel pipe without industrial machinery or the assistance of a family of strongmen does anyone know?

You need a ratchet die stock and a 3/4 BSP die, these can be hired from places like HSS, (there is one in Dublin) for about £20. It will help to have a sturdy bench with engineers vice to hold the pipe still as it takes quite a bit of effort to cut the thread.

I have made up threaded lengths from 2'-6' then join them together if I need longer.

Jason

Thanks Jason. Incidentally, how do you join the lengths together when you need to? Also, as I have never dealt with these pipes, I am only guessing at how tough they are to cut - it is feasible to cut them to length with a hacksaw or would I need something more industrial to cut them?

Just use couplers to join, 'bout 2" long with internal threads. Hacksaw will cut the pipes or in the absence of a cut off saw a jigsaw with the correct blade and some coolant.

Noel

Pooka,

The head count remains the same then, I'm a dub who migrated south!

Looks like your sorted. I was thinking Irish International on the Tramore road do them here.

Les

Hacksaw will be fine, they are approx 1 1/8" OD, 3/4" ID so the wall thickness is about 3/16" make sure you take a sharp blade, you don't want to look a whimp in the carpark :lol:

When I have bought the pipe from plumbers merchants in the passed it has always been threaded each end and includes a straight connector which is a larger tube about 1 1/2" long with a female thread that the pipe ends just screw into, bit like these

http://www.indanc.com/mipf012.htm#malle ... ale_socket

Jason

Thanks again for all of the replies. Looks like I'll be getting myself a new blade for my hacksaw, and some elbow grease... :D

Back