2nd hand machinery sales on eBay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertheeater

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I tend to have a look on eBay for Felder, SCM and a few other makes every now and then. Lately I have been intrigued by the Glut of, especially Felder machinery, going for a song. It's all ridiculously under priced for generally top - spec. machinery. Needless to say it's all Classified ad's with cleared Bacs so no eBay back up. It's a shame really because it was once a good way for genuine buying and selling of machinery.
I suppose there is absolutely no way of policing this but I feel for any one who may get caught out.

Um.... not sure what you mean. "Felder saw" in the search and then sorted for "completed" listings gives a set of things that seem to have sold fo respectable amounts. Didn't see any classified.
Also, most are cah on collection, so hard ot be a scam, no?

I agree that there are a lot of fraudulent listings.
I saw it when I was looking for a van - there were £10,000 vans going for £5,000 and always from a seller with 0 feedback and about 5 other vehicles listed around the same money.

Also seen it a lot recently with Cnc machines. They are normally listed without a location and when you ask they are either Inverness, or Aberdeen. Seller normally has 0 feedback and when you ask to go and view they offer you a day after the auction has ended!

I always report them to eBay when I see them, but they don’t always get removed - it’s frustrating not being able to warn other bidders.

Edit:
I have no doubt these 2 are fraudulent.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CR-Onsrud-3- ... SwLgVcf43u
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-10-table ... SwxbFcfqzB

Deadeye. Mmhh what are you trying to defend?
oakfield. Yes that’s the kind of thing. No feedback , outer location although the examples your pointing to seem to accept PayPal etc and are through eBay.

I dont know why but its often Felder machines.

Some oik has harvested the image, then tries it on.

If you pay by bacs on eBay, the only way is pay on collection, anybody paying on trust before having the item is going to get robbed, PayPal or payment on collection is the only way.

This used to happen with motor homes too, something worth north of 25k advertised for 7k.
Suppose it's the same scam, different product.

The old phrase 'if it seems too good to be true it usually is' comes to mind.

Keep 'em peeled :lol:

katellwood":nmu10b5q said:
And there at it again

In the depths of Scotland, Seller with no feedback and no completed listings shown, delivery option

I've seen those photo's before

Please don't get suckered in

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401732054239?ul_noapp=true

That's quite worrying, because other than the fact you said you've seen those photos before and it's a bargain, I'd be pretty much convinced it was genuine.

The description looks genuine and from someone who knows what they're on about.

And it says delivery is available, not compulsory. Plus the seller invites you to come and see it.

Maybe it's been listed before but not sold ?

Gary.

katellwood":wbol42be said:
And there at it again

In the depths of Scotland, Seller with no feedback and no completed listings shown, delivery option

By this do you imply that because it's in north eastern Scotland, that the seller has more chance of being less than honest ?

Quickben":12fv9b0f said:
katellwood":12fv9b0f said:
And there at it again

By this do you imply that because it's in north eastern Scotland, that the seller has more chance of being less than honest ?

I am absolutely not suggesting that as the item is advertised in Scotland then the Scots are dishonest. The reason its listed there is the effort needed to travel and collect and the cost implications relating to this, thereby encouraging potential purchasers to opt for the delivery option which would require payment up front ( and more than likely a different option than paypal)

If you see my link to another post above Felders get listed at numerous usually extremely remote locations on a fairly regular basis the link is that they share the same item photo's. the above link photo's have been on here before at more than one location and the supporting blurb is often than not cut and pasted from felders website or similar advertisements.

I have a friend who has actually seen his own planer thicknesser listed on ebay when its safely tucked up in his own workshop..

It would be wrong of me to tell people not to bid as I purchased my Felder CF731 via ebay, that being said forewarned is forearmed as this bears all the hallmarks of a con

Peterhead is not Timbuktu. Aberdeen (Scotland's third most populated city) is half an hour down the road, if that.

Maybe some of the technical info is pulled from a spec sheet, but it's well interspersed with anecdotal comments from an informed person.

And, again, you're invited to go and see it.

I can accept that there may be cons all over ebay but, to be honest, this doesn't look like one.

If I had had the cash, I'd be tempted to tootle on up there (I live maybe 5hrs drive away) to see it. Especially at that price.

However, there's probably lot's of people in Aberdeen, Morayshire etc who already have. They're not asking the impossible by inviting people round to view it.

Gary.

phil.p":2yz6h9d4 said:
Peterhead is not Timbuktu ...............
No. Where I live isn't either but it's far enough away from most people to discourage anyone from picking something up. :D

Who are "most" people ?

You could say that about literally anywhere.

If this item/seller was in Kent, would you say the same thing ? I don't think you would. But Kent is almost twice as far away from me than Peterhead is. So to me (and, for example, the five and a half million people who live in Scotland) Kent is the far away place where travel wouldn't be worth it.

I'm just saying that, the sellers location in no way suggests it may be a scam. And, to me, the description looks genuine.

I think the point being made is that the location is just one of the many details that point to this being a fraudulent listing.
I would quite happily bet that if you emailed the seller and requested a viewing they would suggest a date after the item ends, if they replied at all.
And if you said you would bid and collect and requested their address there would be an excuse why they are ending the auction but don’t know how to remover the listing.

Who are "most" people ? The ones who live in the heavily populated areas.
Where it is doesn't mean that it's bound to be a scam, but the point made that they are often in places that for many people necessitates a long trip is still valid.

Quickben":izue4qp1 said:
phil.p":izue4qp1 said:
Peterhead is not Timbuktu ...............
No. Where I live isn't either but it's far enough away from most people to discourage anyone from picking something up. :D

Who are "most" people ?

You could say that about literally anywhere.

If this item/seller was in Kent, would you say the same thing ? I don't think you would. But Kent is almost twice as far away from me than Peterhead is. So to me (and, for example, the five and a half million people who live in Scotland) Kent is the far away place where travel wouldn't be worth it.

I'm just saying that, the sellers location in no way suggests it may be a scam. And, to me, the description looks genuine.

If this item was in Scotland, the seller had good historic feedback, a good completed listings history and the photo's had not been used in other listings then I would be allover it, and if successful would enjoy a couple of days to go and collect (with cash). However I am looking at more than the location and believe that conmen can spin a good yarn in the general description.

There is another factor at play here. I was looking on a local auction site here today. The things I checked were big & awkward enough that the buyer would almost certainly have to collect. It was clear that items in less-populated areas had a significantly lower selling price than items in or near population centres. That shouldn't be too surprising I guess but it means the leap from low price & remote location to scam is harder to justify.

Latest posts

Back