2mmx100mm drill bit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody know where i can get such a beast?
All the extra long ones i can find end at 85mm length. Anything 100mm+ would be great, but 2mm is the max diameter i can use.

I know it'd be weak, but i have to drill a blockage in a vintage pipe, which is right near the end and the drill would be well supported.
I've tried just about everything else, so figure a drill is my best bet!

Thanks in advance!

what is the blockage- would a piece of 2mm rod and a gentle tap do the job?

Regrettably not! I've moved whatever the heck it is about 20mm toward the bowl with a rod after putting it in the freezer, but it's now stuck fast!

Have you tried using a spoke out of an old bicycle wheel. Flatten the business end with a hammer to form a spade shape, and file to shape and size. These are less fragile than a normal twist drill, if you get the drilling wrong they just bend rather than break. Have been using them for years for drilling holes for copper rivets, in boat building.

Thanks Andrew! I've tried similar with wire from a whisk, but it's not man enough by hand. You put them in a powered drill?

I've managed to source a bit 125mm long, from ebay so not sure about quality, but it cost £7. I found a couple of online suppliers, but they wanted 6 or 7 quid in postage, plus £4 for the bit!
Wait for delivery then fingers crossed! I think i might do this on the lathe, so i can control the speed easily....

Another possibility might be to use a piece of Silver Steel. Most of the decent engineer's merchants stock it in a range of sizes from about 1.5mm up to 50mm diameter, and 330mm long. It might work unhardened, but if not, you can shape it up, then harden and temper same as chisel or plane-iron steel (to which it is very similar). The smaller sizes are quite cheap.

Back