2mm ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have a thicknesser and it says in the instructions not to plane below 3mm but I need to go down to 2mm. Is there some other way of cutting timber (spruce) down to this thickness or should I chance using my thicknesser ?

Tools I have; Bandsaw, bench saw, mitre saw, thicknesser.

Joe

Stick it on to a thicker piece of wood such as a sheet of 19mm MDF. I would be glue it on with blobs at regualr intervals along it's length and then take very small cuts with thicknesser.
Alternatively, stick it to MDF with a piece of double sided tape along its length.

Never tried this but iot sounds OK tome. I would not stand 'in the firsing line' though, i.e. not on the infeed side just in case the thicknesser rips it up and spits it out

Cheers

Tony

Take it to 3 mm, and use a hand plane for the last 1 mm. You don't actually keep the finish left by a tailed P/T anyway, do you? All those bumps and grooves? 1 mm off by hand, on a fairly well tuned smoother, is only about 5 strokes/side across the width of the piecec (10 strokes in all)

Back