270 degree hinge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wcndave":3dlou5w5 said:
anyone know if these exist?

I have a gate that needs to open 270 degrees....

I'm not sure what they're called, but I'm sure I've seen them on gates - wouldn't an average surface-mount latch-style hinge - like you see used to padlock sheds, only with gate-mounting holes drilled in it - do? If you mount it with the hinge in the closed position on the 'open' side of the post, protruding width-of-gate out from the post, and then mount the gate in the open position with the barrel of the hinge protruding over the 'inside' edge of the gate, it should be able to swing all the way around into a 270-degree closed position, I would think?

Code:
   @            ---@
   ||%        %%%%%|
  #||%            #|
  #||%            #|
  #  %            #
  #  %            #

(Where '#' is the fence, '%' is the gate, and @ is the barrel of the hinge)

Hi, the main problem with that is that the protrusion has to be equal to the width of the gate. If this is 3/4". then you need pretty massive hinges.... probably 2".

However perhaps you are thinking of the hinges with the fixings horizontally across the gate, rather than vertically along the edge....

I'd have to check how that might work, as this is for an indoors piece, so needs to look good.

wcndave":3g9hef7v said:
this is for an indoors piece, so needs to look good.

For 270-degree rotation, you're always going to either have the pivot point fixed at the outside corner of the gate/door/whatever, or have the pivot move in the same way a kitchen cupboard door does.

What is your actual use case? I seem to recall seeing a toolbox with an up-and-over-and-back style moving-pivot hinge at some point in the past, it's at the very least possible.

door fixed at A and needs to swing from B to C at other end.

170 door.png

Attachments

• 170 door.png
    170 door.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 283
Where indoors is this door?

I have seen, in a VERY old National Trust house a batten hinged to both the door jamb and to the door. Not sure I could supply a drawing of this arrangement but I hope this makes sense.

Brian

This is just a gate at the top of a spiral staircase to stop pets and children from getting up / down respectively....

Good idea. I will suggest it, although I think that as it's in constant use another solution is preferred. I have thought up a double hinge with a small strip in between wall and door to make the whole thing fold around, which may also work.

cheers!

If this is a stair gate, it won't matter if there is some clearance between the hinge edge and the wall. You could probably put a pin (ie a nail with the head cut off) into the top and bottom of the stile, pivoting into two pieces of wood, one attached to the floor, the other coming out from the wall. I made one something like this when our children were small, to fill in an awkward angle at the top of our stairs which was too wide for a shop-bought one. You can arrange it so that the gate lifts a little on the pins to unlock (fit a catch of some sort as well.)

Problem is that that part of the floor is metal, where the stair finishes...so the floor is out of bounds for working on...

wcndave":2itwabi3 said:
Problem is that that part of the floor is metal, where the stair finishes...so the floor is out of bounds for working on...

But you could still put a shallow, bevelled piece of wood across at floor level, screwed down where possible, and step over it in use. From memory, some of the commercial stair gates have a cross-piece at floor level which you step over.

stair gates have them when they go on the bottom step, and then you don't have to step over anything, it's in the crook of the first (or last) step.

here there is nothing but the metal frame to screw down to, and we are talking 2 70+ year olds walking up a very steep and twisting spiral staircase. enough challenges already ;-)

i've suggested a two part door, so that it goes 180 at one point and then 90 from there, which wraps around the corner. looks like that will be the solution required.

thanks for all the suggestions!

I've been thinking more, stop it I hear you say, but once I see a problem. :oops:

The colours are just to highlight different parts. Looking at the Gate/Hinge/Post arrangement from the top. This is the only way of achieving 270 degree opening with one hinge. The pin of the hinge needs to be in the area shown. Obviously the hinge needs to be able to swing through that arc, and the plate of the hinge needs to be strong enough to support the gate, and use, between the post and the hinge pin. A 'T' hinge would have the length on one plate, but they do look somewhat naff generally. If you have access to some metal working bod perhaps one side of a reasonable hinge could be lengthened. Or even a plate fixed to the post and both top and bottom hinges, assuming two.

Hope this helps.

xy

Attachments

• Plan view.png
    Plan view.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 52
Once I get a problem stuck in my head :oops:

Looking at 'butt' hinges, most will allow movement by a little over 180 degrees. The limit is down to the clearance between the hinge plates and the pivot housing on the other plate. Now if it is possible to remove the pin, preferably by drift, then that clearance could be increased by use of file or delicate grinding.

From posts above. If longer hinge plates are needed, then perhaps 'Parliament' hinges could be used.

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Prod ... ent_hinges

xy

Latest posts

Back