25th Anniversary, suggestions please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlife

Established Member
Reaction score
OK it's my sister's silver wedding anniversary in April, I didn't have a clue what to get her, but my mum has just come up with a suggestion for something which would be from both of us. She's just seen photos of a heritage box that I made as a Xmas present for my son and his family, and suggested that I make something similar for the anniversary, she'll pay for all the materials and I will make it.

As it's a silver anniversary I want to incorporate some appropriate metalwork, silver hinges, handles, inlays, that sort of thing, so first of all does anyone know where I could get that sort of hardware from, preferably solid silver rather than plated, or would I have to have it made by a jeweller?

Apart from that I'd like some suggestios as to what timbers might go well with silver? I'm thinking mainly dark, like Ebony, Blackwood, Wenge etc...

Anyone ever come across any photos of boxes that might give me some inspiration?

Lowlife":21drruvg said:
anyone know where I could get that sort of hardware from, preferably solid silver rather than plated, or would I have to have it made by a jeweller?

I always understood that pure silver was a fairly soft metal (Not as soft as gold but not really a suitable choice for hinges etc.)

I could be wrong about that but even if strong enough the metal is (like gold) currently trading at telephone number prices so your project will cost a fair bit if the hardware is solid silver.

If you choose plated you could select a grade which will give a superb finish and the hardware would meet the strength requirements and you might get it made without having to take out another mortgage :lol:

Yes you're right about silver being fairly soft, I'd have thought for box-lid hinges it'd be OK though, it's not as though it's supporting a lot of weight, if any, and it won't be opened dozens of times a day. Something worth thinking about though, it'd be fine for handles and stuff.

I'm thinking more about a silver inlaid lid, that would be quite easy to do, a simple repeated pattern using silver strip, it needn't be more than 0.5mm thick or so, so shouldn't work out too expensive. I've also been thinking about silver leaf, that's a cheap way of doing larger areas and can look amazing.

I need to speak to some professionals about the hardware to see what's the best way to go, if it has to be plated that's OK, as long as it looks right.

If it were me I would start with a visit to Andrew Crawford's site.

Some really A1 boxes that will give you loads of ideas + I know he acts as an agent for some top quaility hinges although not sure on the solid silver possibility - (perhaps solid silver escutchen / inlay may be a more practical option whilst still meeting the intent?).

Simon

Latest posts

Back