25mm plywood???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergroundhunter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys n gals,

I'm looking for some 25mm ply for a project I'm working on, just wanted to know what's a good price per full sheet???

thanks in advance

matt

25mm will usually be a special order in by the timber yard, expect to pay £60-£70 for a sheer although it has been about 18 months since I last bought a 25mm sheet. Good luck

What i did, as i had to buy a lot plus 20 sheets

bought 18mm and 6mm, so went for the cheap 18mm and cherry 6mm

£63.80 from timber yard near me....for nice birch ply......... £40 for the nasty malay stuff. Bit of a donkey ride for you though...

For those closer to this neck of the wood...

http://www.fortimber.demon.co.uk

nice folk too, helpful, polite and willing to give good advice

Just bought a sheet of 25mm ply 8 x 4 this last week. cost me £50-00 inc Vat SWMBO nearly had a heart attack on the spot. Wish now that I had thought of laminating two sheets.

Looking at some of the prices I have seen, I would say 50 quid isn't bad. My wife doesn't understand the price of wood/tools either.

Isn't it strange how we come to accept 50 quid for a sheet of plywood as not being a bad price? I was talking to a chipping who was installing exterior birch faced ply to dress up a shop front in Cambridge the other week. He told me he paid £28 quid a sheet for it...............Oh to receive trade discount!

Rip off Britain again springs to mind!

maybe that is something that the forum could have a look at- it may only work with the likes of Travis Perkins or similar because people would need to collect, but a discount on sheet materials and softwood would be useful to a lot of hobby users. I say Travis, because I worked there many years ago, and at the time they had a discount card for trade cash customers- some of the others insist on having an account for trade discount.

Worth persuing?

Very much marcros, I phoned up Travis a couple of years ago for a quote on a sheet of damp course membrane. The quote was £26. When I went in the guiy asked for £48 at the checkout. When I queried this he said he thought I was trade (probably because I knew wh\t to ask for).

Anyway I got it for 26 quid but just goes to show the mark up for non trade.

Bluekingfisher":7wac9tp9 said:
Isn't it strange how we come to accept 50 quid for a sheet of plywood as not being a bad price? I was talking to a chipping who was installing exterior birch faced ply to dress up a shop front in Cambridge the other week. He told me he paid £28 quid a sheet for it...............Oh to receive trade discount!

Rip off Britain again springs to mind!

8'x4'x1" is 2.66 cubic feet. So at £50 per sheet it equals £18.75 a cubic foot. For a relatively uncommon thickness like 1" that's not bad.

I would have thought the shop fitting was being done with 3/4" or 18mm WPB ply rather than 1"/25mm? In which case £28 sheet is the same price that you or I would pay at B&Q.

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/she ... mm-9276280

Yes it was 18mm rather than 25mm but if you have details of the B&Q with 18mm p;ly on sale at £28 could you please pass them my way.

Cheers.
David

A slightly different view point.

I am in the trade and expect to get a discount from my supplier, BUT I do at least a £1000 per month with them and if you were spending that sort of money you would be able to haggle discount no matter if you were trade or not.

But even for me there are the odd times when I need something that my usual suppliers don't do and I have to bite the bullet and pay a higher price for the odd sheet etc.

A discount card for members would be a good idea but use someone who sells decent timber and not Travis Perkins as most of the wood they stock in the branch near us is only good for the wood burner, as they are a builders merchant at the end of the day and not timber merchants.

Tom

I don't agree with cutting down rain forests by any means but the director of wicks does have a point, I would bet B&Q's stock will end up in landfill at least wicks' stock won't be scrapped

All the plywood manufacturer will do is export it to china, it will then be made into the furniture is sold at B&Q and the other large retailers so will come in that way, and in the process gain the FSC paper work.

Tom

Back