240v to 3 phase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denvir

Established Member
Reaction score
hello, dose any no if you can convert 240v to 3 phase can this be done?im looking at buying a 3 phase table saw but i have single phase ,can anyone help

You convert it the other way round - 3 phase to single phase with an inverter.

9fingers (Bob) is the man to talk to. I'm sure he'll be along in a while to tell you what you need to know.

hello guys! thanks for that, i did not no is was that dear, i was looking at a 3phase saw for £200 and thorght if its £100 to 150 for the convert thats not a bade price for a good saw , but at the price of the convert and the saw i could bye a good saw :oops:

The better converters that give enough for a TS are in the £700 range. If you only need 240v 3 phase then you can get an inverter (which is different) for £100.

I only have limited knowledge which most was absorbed from 9fingers offerings, post the model of saw and its true power requirements if known and 9fingers will let you know for sure.

Two things we need to know about the saw motor.
1) The motor power in HP or kW as HC has already said
and
2) If the motor is dual voltage or not - the plate will be marked 240/415 or similar if is.
The plate carrying the wanted information will be on the motor itself not the saw body.
Typical plates are shown in my pdf file which has already been linked to above and is in the footer of this message.
hth

Bob

I may have a transwave converter 240V single phase to 415V three phase, almost new, only used for a few hours (it worked very well but abandoned project) that I am willing to sell. I will dig it out and get the model number and power rating.

StarGazer

StarGazer":3b7pctsf said:
I may have a transwave converter 240V single phase to 415V three phase, almost new, only used for a few hours (it worked very well but abandoned project) that I am willing to sell. I will dig it out and get the model number and power rating.

StarGazer

ok mate thanks

OK, the only realistic options are a motor swap for a single phase one or a converter such as a transwave that star gazer is offering.

There are a few inverters around that perform voltage conversion but market pressures make these a very expensive option.

If it is a quality saw then £200 plus a converter is still a good deal. remember that once you have a converter, you will be able to power other 3 phase machines with it - assuming you only use one machine at a time!

HTH

Bob

ok thanks, for that top man i will look in to it our wait to see what star gazer wnats for it

Sorry about the delay, been away from home with work and only just got back to dig out the converter. I am afraid I don't think it will be of any use, it is a Transwave static converter, 240V single phase to 415V three phase, but it is one of their smaller models and is only rated to a maximum motor power of 1.5kW for a single motor.

SG

Back