240v --110v help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Bitt tecnical this ;butt heer gose any one out there know if i can run my 2000kw portable generator,whitcn only has a 240 v outlet .Can i conect my 110v transformer to it and run 110v tools .Whithout damaging ,tools.transformer or generator? :idea: :!: :roll: :shock: :?

Well correct me if Iam wrong, but that is the reason why you have a 110 transformer, so you can go from 220/240 to 110, as its no longer allowed to have 220/240 tools on building site, but the power supply to building sites is normallly 220/240

so the answer is yes

Dev..

most yellow cased site transformers are wound to suit a 240v / 110v step down... the primary side will possibly need a new plug added to make it compatable with your genny.. (blue 240v Entralec plug required), your tools and 110v extentions will need to have yellow Entralec plugs and sockets...

Presumably the OP is worried about the generator's compatability with the inductive load of the transformer, as there is no reason that the transformer and tools aren't going to be compatible.

I can't help with the answer, unfortunately.

You might have more luck asking on uk.diy newsgroup, there are plenty of people who seem very knowledgeable about electrics and electronics on there.

Joiner

I don't see there being a prob with what you're suggesting; I've sed a similar rig through work more than enough to know it works. Should work fairly well too if you can get your transformer as close to your power tool as possible; volt drop over long 110v extensions is pretty serious... loose loadsa puff...

joiner":seupvzqt said:
Bitt tecnical this ;butt heer gose any one out there know if i can run my 2000kw portable generator,whitcn only has a 240 v outlet .Can i conect my 110v transformer to it and run 110v tools .Whithout damaging ,tools.transformer or generator? :idea: :!: :roll: :shock: :?

I have a 2.5kva and a 5 kva unit stored here, (emergency power for local fridges etc. if needed in power cut, now rare thank goodness) both do not seem to care what is hooked up to them, either on the 240v or the 110v outputs. The inertia of the Engine/Alternator copes with all switch-on loads that we have thrown at them (sometimes with a little cough) and if the load is too great (like someone plugging in a fast boil electric kettle for instance!!) they labour for a while and eventually the thermal breaker trips. As most Portable Power tools are normally short duty cycle devices ,as are most yellow transformers for that matter, I do not envision you having a problem, the 110v transformer is primarily an inductive load not dissimilar to a fridge motor albeit capable of consuming a greater load.

Joiner,

With the right plug (as per Mikes post) - no problem. Never mind inductive this or that, if your genny can't take the load, it'll trip out if it's got overload protection, or it'll simply stall. I doubt you'll damage anything.

cheers,

Ike

Latest posts

Back