.22 bicycle gun.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on bicycle guns?
I have just been given a circa 1940 one, (with no intent to fire it) and was wondering what they were used for and if they are actually legal? It apparently has a .22 bore, is about 100mm in length and 80mm high. It holds just one shell and appears as though you 'cock it' by pulling back the hammer, prior to shooting.
I have no idea why I was given it, but just thought I'd ask the questions about its use.
I look forward to your replies

Simon

I think they were mostly a self-defense thing for bicycle riders from a time gone by, Probably quite a rare item now.

As far as legality I'm not sure where you stand with it, since it is explosively propelled I would assume it's not legal to own without a firearms license. I think it would fall under the antique/historical firearm category, might be worth calling an expert on the subject about it and see if you can either keep it, sell it or whether you have to surrender it.

You're not exactly going to war with one .22 shot at a time though.

If it’s a viable cartridge rifle (as opposed to an air rifle) then I would think you would need a firearm certificate to own it. (I am a rifle shooter but am not up to speed on the rules for historic rifles and don’t know anything about a bicycle gun!)

Hadn't even heard of them until I googled it, so can't help but interesting, a photo would be nice.

I held a fire arms certificate for 20 years and have never heard of these so I Googled it. They were usually short rifles adapted for mounting on the handlebars of a bike or some small revolvers were labeled as bicycle guns because they fitted easily into a pocket when cycling.
You would probably be required to hold a licence to possess one especially if it hasn't been deactivated. It may have some antique value so I would suggest you deposit it with a local dealer and ask his opinion.
I would be very interested to see a photo of it if you could, and the maker's name would help.
Regards, Paul

I would like to add a photo, but cant work out how to, so advice would be appreciated 8-[
It's certainly not a rifle, as it is minute.

I also found this link: https://www.businessinsider.com/guns-yo ... ?r=US&IR=T
where it states
Semiautomatic firearms — guns that will keep firing one round every time you pull the trigger — are legal as long as the size of the cartridge they are designed to fire are no bigger than .22 inches in diameter.

Worked it out.
The image was corrupt.

Attachments

• Bicycle gun.jpg
    Bicycle gun.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 621
Semiautomatic firearms — guns that will keep firing one round every time you pull the trigger — are legal as long as the size of the cartridge they are designed to fire are no bigger than .22 inches in diameter.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean you don't have to have a license! The same page mentions that shotguns are legal to own so long as they hold less than 3 cartridges, but you most definitely need a license for a shotgun.

That gun looks almost home-made, is there no marks anywhere on it?

And most pistols (which this is) are outright banned subject to exemptions for some historic types (which this might well be). You could call a firearm dealer for advice perhaps?

It’s a nice thing so it would be a shame if you can’t own it.

I think I would be keeping very quiet and certainly not posting on a public forum about such things.

This is definitely a Derringer type gun which were made by several American companies including Remington and Colt. Much loved by gamblers!
If you want an accurate and expert opinion and possible valuation I suggest you e-mail GunStar.co.uk and attach the photo, they sell quite a few of these as collectors items. They are located in Preston I think.
Good luck, Pau

You need to get this into a smiths to get deactivated ASAP as otherwise you're sitting on an unfortunate reason for some free accommodation from the government! The law will see it as a pistol in a currently available calibre, and as such a functional weapon. A smiths will be able to get it deactivated for you at which point it is totally legal to own.

I have just asked the question on a gun forum, and after a few questions have found out that is a legal blank firing bicycle gun probably for scaring dogs.
It has two holes drilled in the underside of the barrel.

Attachments

• 20190309_082934.jpg
    20190309_082934.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 353
Love it! Looks in nice condition as well.

I found the police to be very understanding once they've decided you're genuine. I had an issue a few years ago with an old .22 rifle and box of mixed live ammo I tried to hand in for a friend who's husband had died.

I did get a visit from 2 burly armed policemen and they showed some interest in my stock of used 303 and 308 shells I use for making pens but they were very helpful and good natured.

If It turns out to be illegal I will probably just take it apart and dispose of all the pieces.
I dont know if this is acceptable but seems the easiest way and it gets it off the streets??????

Back