20mm Dogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

Yes I could trawl through loads of videos and do some searches but with so many people on these forums using these dogs then getting the facts and experiences from the horses mouth has to be a good way to proceed.

I have some 40mm Benchdogs in alloy but I think stainless would be a more durable option but which make? Out of my 8 40mm bench dogs only 3 fitted snuggly into my Parf guide drilling jig, the other 5 would have been an interference fit, to tight.

What do people think of the multicomponent dogs from UJK, seem rather complicated for such a simple purpose.

Don’t know if you know anyone with a lathe Roy but they are so easy to make, mine are made from aluminium in three different heights.
113595F2-C28E-4E46-A872-DDB9A59965C9.jpeg

AA793C7E-952E-4771-9A15-ABD1D14AC3CC.jpeg

They work a treat I’m yet to be convinced of the need for the expensive alternatives.

How tight a fit are those which are 'too tight'?
I ask as I had some which were too tight, but with just a clean, they became snug, and perfect for use.?

I have a set of the benchdogs.co.uk Quad Dogs - they're similar to the UKJ ones but a bit simpler to use. Stainless steel, base has O rings and they have about a quarter turn twist-to-lock

If you haven't seen it, this video is probably worth a look

UJK Parf dogs (anchor, guide, pup etc.) and Benchdogs Quad-Dogs are all a perfect match in my experience. Coupled with the Axminster reamer you can quickly make any overly tight holes fit just right for them too.

The Parf Super Dogs are great but pricey and the quad-dogs match them easily for functionality and work out cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback, before moving North getting them made would have been a breeze as knew plenty of machinery shops but was not into woodwork then. I will look at the quad dogs, also more swayed with stainless or a harder grade of aluminium, my current aluminium ones are a soft alloy.

Back