2015 Woodturning Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not wanting to put a dampener on the two tier system. But who decides what is "Novice" and "Advanced".
There are those out there that are great turners without entering a competition. It is such a difficult thing to define

Dalboy":67vkqvue said:
Not wanting to put a dampener on the two tier system. But who decides what is "Novice" and "Advanced".
There are those out there that are great turners without entering a competition. It is such a difficult thing to define
This same issue came to my mind and it's taken me a few days to think of a possible resolution.

The entrant could specify which section they were entering with the caveat that an adjudicator could modify that in the light of previous results.

There is also the issue that whilst one may well be competent in (say) spindle turning but done little or no bowl turning or hollowing - or even the other way around.

The more you think about it the more difficult it becomes #-o

Dalboy":2c8zame2 said:

I had tentatively suggested that anyone who has won a monthly Challenge could no longer enter as a novice, but would have to enter the "advanced" section, but there must be other ways of splitting the entrants to give newbies a chance of some "glory".

Never won = novice section
Won less than 3 times = intermediate section
Won 3 or more = advanced section

That ought to keep it simple enough to work out assuming we use this years list of winners as the base line.

As a complete newbie to this turning lark, I thought I'd throw my tuppence in.

I only picked up turning tools and had a go for the first time a few weeks ago. I joined this forum about the same time (even though I'd been lurking for a while)

I think the monthly challenge is a good thing, both for novices and experts as it may give those of us inspiration for a new project. I haven't had time to take part in the september challenge due to cricketing commitments, however now the season is over, that should free up some time. I will be attempting the october challenge and aim to find time to complete the other challenges, as I think it is also a good way to test myself and learn other skills that revolve aound woodturning.

Thanks,

Adam

Walney Col":3c1ms7hk said:
Never won = novice section
Won less than 3 times = intermediate section
Won 3 or more = advanced section

That ought to keep it simple enough to work out assuming we use this years list of winners as the base line.

Something that simple is probably the only realistic way of keeping tabs on which section people should be in. We could even backtrack a few years to find previous winners (e.g. me) who would have to go into the advanced section (gulp!).

Speaking as someone who's just bought their first wood turning lathe and not yet completed my first bowl I'd like to take part in the competition just for the camaraderie and the opportunity to learn but see little point in doing so in direct competition with professionals who've been doing it for years.

some good ideas there. Essentially, just like golf handicaps or tennis seeding, each entrant needs to be "calibrated" so they can be assigned a status category. I don't see why we don't just trial Walney's "rule of 3" and see how it goes.

The logic for this is that, like the pro sports we need to be calibrated and since there is no precedent we need to just trial something that sounds sensible, monitor it for a few months and feedback if it works. I see no other way of moving forward. No solution will be perfect so we just need to trial one and monitor. Change mid-stream if it causes problems and basically prototype the process.

I entirely agree with Dalboy et al that its a thankless task trying to lump folks into a category arbitrarily so, again Walney's plan seems as good as any to me. The only other means of categorising that occurred to me was hours on the clock ie how long you've been turning for. Obviously a ten year veteran will be better than the person just back from Axy with his/her new lathe but beyond that the variability is hugely confused by the actual hours spent turning.

So I vote we try Walney's "rule of 3"

And Graham....awfully sweet of you to volunteer me but I only became a mod a few months back and I've just been made secretary of the BWA turning club so my spare time seems to be ebbing faster than a spring tide! Perhaps you could do it :)

Grahamshed":1z6v2vzn said:
Firstly I have to say that I think Wybrook's post is hilarious. Having stated that he will never meet any of us so what is there to be embarrassed about....... his post is followed by one from one of the judges living in the same place. :)

Gloucestershire's a big place and I think Paul's down in the deepest darkest forest on the other side of the river. I try to keep away from there as on maps it's still marked as 'There be dragons' :lol:

(There are some good bike tracks though, I think they're mainly around the dragon's nests)

Wybrook":389g5wt3 said:
Grahamshed":389g5wt3 said:
Firstly I have to say that I think Wybrook's post is hilarious. Having stated that he will never meet any of us so what is there to be embarrassed about....... his post is followed by one from one of the judges living in the same place. :)

Gloucestershire's a big place and I think Paul's down in the deepest darkest forest on the other side of the river. I try to keep away from there as on maps it's still marked as 'There be dragons' :lol:

(There are some good bike tracks though, I think they're mainly around the dragon's nests)
:eek:ccasion5: \:D/ \:D/
Good answer :)

Paul Hannaby":4gd7dgio said:
How about a challenge that has a slightly easier task for novices and an added element for those with a little more experience? For example a basic bowl for all entrants with the addition of feet for those with more experience.

I see merit in this, take as small box for instance.
Plain design using single wood species. (automatcally categorised as Novice/beginner category) criteria being proportions/aesthetics.
Decorated design, single/multiple woods (automatically categorised as advanced)

Like Paul's bowl with/without feet, category is by choice of challenge selected without having to classify entrants status, a great bowl turner may be less confident fitting mating parts or spindle turning/ decoration and can choose the content attempted.
Can't see a proficient turner submitting stuff in the novice category just to gain points if they are capable of producing more complex.

I would like the monthly comp's to continue - they challenge me to improve my skills, the critique is often very good and again helps me improve.

I think part of the problem is that many forum users are not confident turners that have spent many years perfecting their craft - I would imagine the majority are in fact hobby turners with limited shop time (as little as a couple of hours a week perhaps) that are still working on simpler items. These people (and I include myself) might be looking at the challenges and preferring to spend time practicing more common items - bowls, plates, boxes.

I'm aware some users like that the challenge opens new horizons but if my choice is to spend my few hours I have turning something that doesnt appeal to me then I wont do it. I'll spend my time turning what interests me and what is likely to be used.

Perhaps the challenge needs to cater for the basics more - if only 5 people are willing to try this months, then maybe it's too hard or too out of touch with what the users want? How about a 'simple bowl, no embellishments' challenge to focus on basic form, tool handling and encourage the less skilled to take part? Or perhaps even a copy challenge - show an item (again make it popular - bowl, box etc.) and have entrants try to recreate it. It could even take the form of a tutorial type event that shows users how to turn something and judges their attempts.

I too would like to thank not only the organisers but also those who have sent in entries. I am amazed at the variation in peoples interpretation of the briefs each month.

It will be a shame if the challenge does not continue. The idea of having to make something that complies with a defined set of rules is great as it gets the grey matter stirring. The suggestion of an average score for each persons entries over the year does seem to be a way for those who can not enter every month to stand a chance in the yearly competition. Maybe this could be in addition to the yearly total prize?

Although I have not entered pieces every month I have at least tried to make something according to each challenge. (its just that most have been failures)

Some of you may remember that I started the challenge some years ago

The original idea was to encourage people to turn and show what they have made , liven up the woodturing section on the forum
My opinion would be keep it simple , Turn , enjoy your turning and the turnings of other

One issue with an average score is that a bad month affects your score negatively, so whilst you might currently enter with something that isn't perfect but is what you got done in time, with an average you might decide to not enter if your work isn't as good as hoped.

Back