2015 Woodturning Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is going nowhere, yet none of us want to see the challenge end.
I do not have the time to run the competition as it is now but I will offer up an alternative and run that if members are happy with it.
I have reread this thread and taken many of the thoughts into account but welcome others thoughts and opinions.

NEW COMP
Four totally independent challenges a year. Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter. This gives plenty of time to practice and make entry .Judged as they are now, ( ie. judges and entrants)
At end of year forum members pick an overall winner ( or 2 ? )

Combined normal/advanced sections with contestant choosing which he wants to enter. So 2 winners each quarter. Contestants can make more than one entry if they wish and can enter both sections if they wish. (I am assuming experienced turners would find little kudos in winning the beginners section but some beginners would like to pit themselves against more advanced turners)

So…. Maybe
Spring - Box – simple or complex shape and decoration
Summer - Bowl - simple or complex shape and decoration
Autumn - Pair candlesticks - simple or complex shape and decoration
Winter - Goblet - simple or complex shape and decoration
Therefore we have two faceplate / hollowing items, one spindle item, and one combination item.
……..

This would be dependant on Richard and Paul being willing to continue as judges,

The presentation of awards like this year would be dependant of forum member Daven being prepared to make them again and members being prepared to make donations to cover the costs. ( perhaps Mick could tell us how that worked out this year )

Good on you Graham , seeing the length of time that has elapsed since you posted your interest in running I would think you are a strong contender for the job .I would suggest that if no other applicants are received by Midnight Sunday 26th October you are the new Ceo. of the Challenge . =D> =D>

This should give others who may be interested plenty of time to make themselves known ,or offer some imput as to the running of the Challenge .Graham has stated he would listen to other views should anyone wish to have an imput so let your views be known .

My view is that if this is allowed to drag on any longer it will just die out. I have no idea how a poll or a voting system is organized on here but if the MODS could put up a yes or no poll it would be great .

I shall now sit and wait for the shmuck to hit the FAN .

Grahamshed":zqz3mjp1 said:
The presentation of awards like this year would be dependant of forum member Daven being prepared to make them again and members being prepared to make donations to cover the costs. ( perhaps Mick could tell us how that worked out this year )

Hi Graham,

This time last year, when I agreed to run the Challenge for 2014, I asked for voluntary donations not exceeding £5 from forum members. I received a total of about £65+, of which approx. £40 went to Daven for the manufacture of the plaques (you could search for the threads to get the exact amounts, but I don't think that is what you are after).

I have spent all the rest in posting out the plaques to the winners (Its that DennisK in Canada who is costing too much in postage, and he keeps on winning - I must tap up the judges for the remaining three months!! :lol: :lol: ), but will keep going to the end of the year.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mike.
Two days without any comment by likely entrants...... Not sure what to think of that. !!!

Fair play Graham for stepping up, I did think about volunteering but I'm not the most organised person in the world, it would most likely end up a shambles. I think four times a year would give people more time so maybe would increase the number of entrants which is good, I'm still not sure about having two categories, I'm not a beginner but neither would I consider myself to be an expert, I suspect a lot of the turners on here would put themselves somewhere in between....
As for the challenges themselves, maybe have a separate thread with everyone's suggestions and pick the four best?

Well I did make a suggestion re a monthly show and tell without prizes,as I believe Mister Blister intended originally. This way there is no pressure to turn every month, but there is still a monthly project, so to speak. Would it be possible to to the voting without a whole lot of work from anyone? Not a computer guy so not sure how hard , or easy that would be to set up. Thx dk

I have refrained from commenting till I saw all options, I did consider doing the task, but like Dennis, I doubt I would be organized enough to keep it up, that wouldn't be fair to others then.

Graham I think it's great you have offered to have a go at it, and I like your idea too. It is nice for sure to have a bash each month if you can, but a seasonal one works for me too. Don't be put off by a lack of response, it doesn't signify indifference, more that people are often uncertain about how to respond quite often, well, without sounding glib at least.

Been some very good suggestions in this thread but most of us are a bit wary of biting off more than we can chew I suspect.

I have been through the posts in this thread with interest.
Being just a fraction above the novice stage I, like many others are possibly intimidated by the excellent turning projects that have been on show. Non the less if we are to learn and get constructive feedback from more experience members of the forum, it can only be positive for us novices.

Being retired and having little time I would find a monthly challenge exerting too much pressure, but having a seasonal competition gives more time to allow for all the failures, before producing the finished article.

Speaking as a novice + I would be interested in taking part in 2015.

Just like to say I am in a similar situation as Waka, and have the same comments. Although retired, I am a Carer for an elderly parent, and other family commitments mean that being retired does not give me all the time I expected to have.. So I also might be able to produce a "novice" piece that could go in a quarterly comp...

Sounds like I just made a commitment. (Never yet made a box though).

I visit here usually 2x a day, just to learn and admire the experts here. (I don't bother logging in, just click a tab on my toolbar). I have learnt much of the theory and have a notebook of ideas shamelessly stolen, waiting for my skill level to increase. It also stimulates me to try new techniques which I would never have thought of. I see myself as a sort of Apprentice at the moment, learning by doing but limited competence.

I also look at the competition pieces and dream that one day it will be me. Downside is that I seem also to have learnt to spot faults in my work faster than I learn to correct them. On the upside I have a good collection of wood shavings for the fire now the winter is coming.

So thanks to you all, I suspect the forum is much appreciated by a lot of people who do not often post.

Grahamshed":eicb9kl9 said:
Thanks Mike.
Two days without any comment by likely entrants...... Not sure what to think of that. !!!

Hi Graham ,Im sure it must feel like you have made a bid on evil bay and watching every move ,I know I am . :eek: :eek:
The fact that nobody has offered a challenge to you ,I would take as a compliment to the postal service that all your threatening letters have been delivered on time . :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: Just my twisted mind at work :oops: .

Blister , Nev , and Henton49er ,have done wonderful work over the years for the Challenge and I feel sure they would offer any help they could to whoever takes over the running of the Challenge .

Mike ,I on my own behalf would like to thank you for your imput and the little extras you added in your time as Challenge organizer ,You did a great job and have set a high standard for those that follow ,thank you and all for the pleasure I got .

OK, Since nobody has said otherwise, it looks as if I am running a cut down version of the challenge for next year. I need to get hold of the judges and see if they are willing to continue then I will start a new post to finalise the details.

congrats on taking the job Graham
the comp will at least continue which is great news
can i put a 2 penny into the mix
there has been a few posts of bangles recently
without them i would never had worked out how to make one
but
now having seen the "rejects" \ "trial runs" why would a novice even show theirs

please don't burn me down in flames
i have made one..i will show it
but i do feel so intimidated

Steve

Grahamshed":2v3s08yn said:
OK, Since nobody has said otherwise, it looks as if I am running a cut down version of the challenge for next year. I need to get hold of the judges and see if they are willing to continue then I will start a new post to finalise the details.
Good news Graham. Vive la challenge!

SteveF":2v3s08yn said:
now having seen the "rejects" \ "trial runs" why would a novice even show theirs
Get your bangle out for the boys, and girls obviously.
I got a comment on a bowl elsewhere recently, which was along the lines, "you should be proud of everything you finish, and not be afraid to show it."
There's a lot of truth in that.
One of the good points of the challenge is we push ourselves to try something we would normally never attempt.
The first turning I put up here was, in hindsight, terrible. I was proud of it however, because it was recognisable as what it was intended to be. I was given some critique, which I took on board. It was not nasty in any way, just honest - and encouraging at the same time. There may be the odd twunt who just wants to show off or stir things up, but by and large the membership here is very friendly and supportive.

Well said Taz

One of the advantages of a quarterly challenge is the practice time and I am hoping to use the thread for each challenge as a discussion point and somewhere to place Youtube links etc so we can learn what we need to know.

Best of luck Graham , Ilook forward to seeing what you intend doing for the coming year .
I hope that most of all you get enjoyment out of the Challenge as well .

Good luck and Take care .

I for one have enjoyed entering this year and have watched it for a while before that. I think that all those that have taken up the challenge of organising and judging this have done a wonderful job. Like many I can't volunteer because of time restraints even though I no longer work. Like next month I have hospital appointment which I know is going to lay me up for a week at most

Grahamshed":2f5eiiu4 said:

Well one Graham I have found it a struggle some months and did say to Mike that I possible would not be entering next year, but your Idea of only a few throughout may give me the chance to enter something

SteveF":2f5eiiu4 said:
congrats on taking the job Graham
the comp will at least continue which is great news
can i put a 2 penny into the mix
there has been a few posts of bangles recently
without them i would never had worked out how to make one
but

please don't burn me down in flames
i have made one..i will show it
but i do feel so intimidated

Steve

I have in the past put up picture of my failed attempts, not with the intention of putting people off. I did realise that it could do that so stopped doing it. So if it has put anyone off I do apologise and hold my hand up for being guilty :oops: :oops: :oops:
The only thing I did was the WIP on how to hopefully to encourage others to have a go. I know one person who it made their cheeks flutter a bit :wink: :wink: :twisted: :lol: :lol: No names mentioned :lol:

Back