2015 Woodturning Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with blister, keep it simple, enter for the fun of entering and just have a go. I can't see a simple way of dividing the entrants into beginners and non-beginners that wouldn't end in controversy due to people ending up in what they consider to be the wrong category. I personally think it would be a shame for the competition to end, but if the scoring aspect is putting people off to the extent that we're only getting a handful of entries each month then maybe just have it as an idea each month for people to have a go at and do away with the scoring altogether.

That actually makes a fair bit of sense. We could literally abolish scoring altogether and just enter pieces for the fun and the challenge of stretching the skill in different directions. To be honest its the bit afterwards where the techniques and approaches get discussed that I find the most valuable. Take that Celtic knot that Graham did that time......extremely useful to air the technique and then deconstruct it so we can all have a go. That's what floats my boat. The winning versus otherwise.....not so much.

Woodmonkey":2agcsorf said:
I agree with blister, keep it simple, enter for the fun of entering and just have a go. I can't see a simple way of dividing the entrants into beginners and non-beginners that wouldn't end in controversy due to people ending up in what they consider to be the wrong category. I personally think it would be a shame for the competition to end, but if the scoring aspect is putting people off to the extent that we're only getting a handful of entries each month then maybe just have it as an idea each month for people to have a go at and do away with the scoring altogether.

+1 from me

Maybe do away with the points scoring throughout the year. Still have a monthly winner that is voted for by the entrants only? Most votes wins and you can't vote for yourself?

That way people can enter when they get time and not feel intimidated by a yearly comp.

I can personally see how awarding points from a professional judges point of view may put a novice off putting their items on public view but I think it's a vital step to understanding the criteria that the majority of the fraternity place on form and workmanship.

Having said that there are few months where my personal rating of a piece and its pecking order matches the judges 100% and I guess if the item was seen in the flesh as in a club competition it would be even different for both judge and myself.

(this is born out by members variation on ratings)

The re-appraisal of the individual pieces following the judges comments though, I find invaluable in understanding other aspects of form or entrenching my own preferences.

I don't think anyone should feel embarrassed at their efforts and not show what they have achieved, at least they are in a small group of 'Elite' individuals who have been willing to stand up and be counted as a means of improving their own skills.

This is the outlook I embraced when I started my turnings and posted on the forum and my website, some of the pieces were dire on the form front, ( still are!) but I was able to master finish at an early stage and took that hurdle with pride as one of the things I could not be critiqued for.

I would like the challenge to continue as it is. I know I will not win (not worried if I win or loose just love turning) as I have a lot of leaning to do, But it challenges me to make something I would have not tryed My thanks to all who take part =D> and the Judges =D> normally =D> =D>

I agree with winemaker :)
I also like having the more skilful turners in the same challenge, that is how I will be able to tell when I am getting closer to them.

LOL...this threads a classic.....we started being very convinced we needed to change and the longer we leave it, the more we're talking ourselves round to remaining the same. It's good stuff this :)
Give it another fortnight and I predict......the challenge is rubbish...it should be banned :)

Seems to me we are merrily chatting about one thing ( the form of the contest) while ignoring the main question of who is going to run it.

Grahamshed":3g66q6d1 said:
Seems to me we are merrily chatting about one thing ( the form of the contest) while ignoring the main question of who is going to run it.
=D> =D> =D> good point

Well, this thread has been open now for two weeks. We do not seem to be any nearer deciding whether the Challenge should continue, what form it should take if it is to continue, and who is going to run it.

The first thing we need, IMO, is a volunteer to run the Challenge. He (or she) can then take forward the issue of the form of the Challenge and then agree a list of Challenge items for next year.

If nobody comes forward to run it, then the Challenge will not run next year.

Who's up for it??

Hi Mike
Not having much luck here but I do believe people want the challenge to continue.
Couple of questions to gee us all up.......
1... What EXACTLY is involved ?
2... Are the judges happy to continue ?

Grahamshed":1n7z9rty said:
1... What EXACTLY is involved ?
2... Are the judges happy to continue ?

Monthly actions for the organiser:-

PM the proposed judge to get his agreement to be the judge each month
Draft the rules (a bit of thinking time required here as well)
send to the judge for comment / agreement and take comments on board for a final version of the rules
[The above three items I have been doing mid-month in preparation for the next month's challenge]
Post the draft rules and send a PM to Mods to make them a sticky thread (also asking Mods to unstick any thread that are no longer needed)
Respond to any queries on the rules and exchange PMs with the judge if there is anything that needs his input
Post a new thread for the entries just before the stated time for posting entries (I have done this up to 24 hours ahead, but also up to 12 hours late on occasions!!]
PM the Mods to lock the entries thread after the posting time is over
PM the judge to remind him that entries are ready for judging
Calculate entrants' scores and put onto spreadsheet
Add judge's scores and work out ranking for overall scores
Work out the "year to date" positions
Post a new thread of the results and PM Mods to make it a sticky
PM the winner for his/her postal address
Pack up and post the winner's plaque

All the above is the monthly schedule - I made up my own spreadsheet, which is quite simple if you can use Excel or similar. For the number of entries we have been getting (under 15 each month) a piece of paper and a pencil would do just as well! There is also the need in advance of the year's Challenge to agree a list of the monthly Challenges.

2. The new Challenge organiser will need to PM Paul Hannaby and Richard Findley to see if they want to continue; I have not made any enquiries in this respect.

Hope this helps.

Hi all, I have enjoyed the challenge from day one ,both as a participant and now as spectator. When Blister(Alan Wells ) first started this great competition I don't think many people realized how much work has to be put in by the person taking on the running of it .

Mick has outlined what is involved and I know that it is going to be very hard to get someone who has the time and ability to take on such a task .I think that if people are finding it hard to find the time to make an entry the challenge may have run it's course .
It saddens me to have to say this as one who was lucky enough to have had a win and now as someone who just looks forward to seeing entries and enjoying the anticipation of the results .
I would like to think that maybe somebody might still keep the flag flying and it can continue .

God Bless .

i have only entered once
just the thought of competition disappearing is saddening
i have made an attempt this month and will do my best to continue doing so

hope it continues

Steve

I would like the challenge to continue. To me , it doesnt matter if there are prizes, or a year end title. I just want to turn something different every month, and as I have said in the past, many months it is the only time I get on the lathe. Would it be possible to develop a list of projects for next year, and have monthly show and tell, voted on by the entrants , or perhaps anyone on the forum who wants to vote. Keep all requrements the same as for time of entering, picture size, etc.
This way there is no pressure to perform every month, and we still get to enjoy all the different ideas that people come up with. ???????

I don't have a lathe so my opinion is irrelevant really as I won't be competing, but I've been enjoying seeing what everyone has made. So as long as we still get to see how many talented people there are then I don't mind what you guys do! It's great!

dennisk":ov4q59km said:
I would like the challenge to continue. To me , it doesnt matter if there are prizes, or a year end title. I just want to turn something different every month, and as I have said in the past, many months it is the only time I get on the lathe. Would it be possible to develop a list of projects for next year, and have monthly show and tell, voted on by the entrants , or perhaps anyone on the forum who wants to vote. Keep all requrements the same as for time of entering, picture size, etc.
This way there is no pressure to perform every month, and we still get to enjoy all the different ideas that people come up with. ???????
Hi all. Having read this post from " Dennisk " I would think that something along these lines may be a way to rescue the challenge .
Maybe if those interested put their heads together and worked along these lines they might come up with something which won't put too much pressure on any one member to run it . I don't mean by this to form a panel or committee but just through the forum to suggest a way that without putting too much pressure on one person that the whole forum can vote for the winner each month and the resultant winning vote be posted by the "Mods " each month . Just my thought :oops: :roll:

Back