2013 challenge...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
working on it! be patient :mrgreen:

I would just like to say a big Thanks to all those who took part in anyway and supported the 2012 challenge, and especially to Allen (Blister) for getting it off the ground in the first place back in 2011.
Also a big thanks to Eugene (Boysie39) who contributed greatly towards the winners medals and also the words of encouragement he has provided to various peoples along the way.

As we can see numbers of entries had dwindled somewhat over the past year for I'm sure varying reasons, so maybe we need to have a look at what form the challenge will take next year (if any :( ) .with this in mind can we have a show of hands for those that will be interested and we see the numbers we (you) can then decide on the format etc.
thanks
nev

Hi Nev

I'm happy to be a judge again. Be good to see it continue as I think it is good for turners to be pushed and challenged to make things that they wouldn't normally do. Much better than a bowl and another bowl and another bowl and another...... :wink:

Cheers

Richard

Hi Nev,

I for one am keen for the challenge to continue in 2013.

I think we need to add some variety to the challenge and there was a thread started by Blister just before he left us with suggestions for different things. Perhaps that could be resurrected as a starting point to a discussion on what each month's challenge should be (we could do something standard for January while we sort the other months out).

As I can only refer to my attempts at turning as "newbie" with a lot more practise!
I hope the challenge continues as the variety of submissions give some great ideas to new turners.
If the challenge continues I will submit some items if only to remind others how bad they used to be.

It's not the winning it's the taking part that produces more kindling!!

M

I'm interested in taking part though I am very new to turning so don't think I'll be winning anything after seeing the quality of turning entered each month.

As someone new to turning it really is inspiring seeing the entrees and it would be really sad to see the competition stop!

Cheers
John

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Other than work and taking part in a photography comp my other reason for not entering was due to the theme being the same thing, bowl, platter etc.

I'll have a look at the thread spoken of to see if I have any ideas to add. I'll up date the score board also.

I will definitely be up for next years challenge in whatever format, as we can see from above there may be a few people starting out and I feel we need to be mindful of their perceived skills and equipment but with a few new items thrown in. I have thoroughly enjoyed this year and only failed to enter one month simply because of the hours I had to work during the Olympics which was a shame.

A massive thanks to the organisers and judges who have kept this going and to Hudson for the scoreboard.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Steve

speeder1987":2ksn8jjc said:
I'm interested in taking part though I am very new to turning so don't think I'll be winning anything after seeing the quality of turning entered each month.

As someone new to turning it really is inspiring seeing the entrees and it would be really sad to see the competition stop!

Cheers
John

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
M P Hales":2ksn8jjc said:
As I can only refer to my attempts at turning as "newbie" with a lot more practise!
I hope the challenge continues as the variety of submissions give some great ideas to new turners.
If the challenge continues I will submit some items if only to remind others how bad they used to be.

It's not the winning it's the taking part that produces more kindling!!

M

I am also relatively new to turning and I think the reason I would hesitate to enter is the knowledge that there is no chance of being placed due to the vast amount of experience and collections of equipment you are up against, even worse would be your attempt being scoffed at, not very likely I know but you can only look wide eyed at some of the turnings the experienced turners are submitting and say to yourself "maybe next year."

Now if there was a section for turners of say 'under two years experience' then maybe it would level the playing field somewhat and could encourage a few 'newbies'

Andy

I would definitely like to see the challenge continue. Having recently plucked up the courage to enter the December one and not done too badly :) I would like to continue.

Like many on here, I am new to turning and also sometimes get what has been described as 'turner's block' so the idea of being given a specific project is a great idea. Also, it's not really about winning (that would be a bonus), I see it as simply an opportunity to practice and compare your work with others, which helps you to improve - a bit like Hudson's photography competitions.

Please find a way to keep it going

regards

Brian

Im in!

As said previously I only entered 1 month this year and I really feel like I lost out.:-(
Every month I have looked at the entries and results and have kept up to date with it all.
I have my lovely lathe, my shoebox shed so I have no excuse

Not only that I would love to win at least one months medal/plaque to adorn a wall in my shoebox shed!

Andy ,I have never seen anyones work being scoffed at or criticized on the challenge .The people who enter are al too aware of how they began their turning careers and be they beginners or established turners know that they will be encouraged whatever their effort may be . So give it a try use it as something to spur you on . In years to come you will look back and hopefully think the CHALLENGE got to where I am now.Happy New Year. :ho2

I could really do with spending more time at the lathe, so I`d like to throw my name in the hat.

Regards.

dj.

andersonec":2sr50zww said:
I am also relatively new to turning and I think the reason I would hesitate to enter is the knowledge that there is no chance of being placed due to the vast amount of experience and collections of equipment you are up against, even worse would be your attempt being scoffed at, not very likely I know but you can only look wide eyed at some of the turnings the experienced turners are submitting and say to yourself "maybe next year."

Now if there was a section for turners of say 'under two years experience' then maybe it would level the playing field somewhat and could encourage a few 'newbies'

Andy

Andy, no one will scoff at your work, of that I am certain. I am a newcomer to turning having much less than 2 years experience of being self taught. I have probably turned only about a dozen items or less. I entered the December challenge for the first time and came fourth out of seven so it is possible for a beginner to do well.

Don't put yourself down, join in - you can only benefit

regards

Brian

Latest posts

Back