2013 Challenge ??? Do We ????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2013 Challenge yes or no ?

• Continue with 4 people running the challenge

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • End the Challenge its run its time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Continue with 1 person running the Challenge

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Continue with 2 people running the challenge

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
As always time marches on so its time to see what the forum members want to do for 2013 ?

Are you all happy to continue into year 3 of our Forum Challenge

Or do you think it has run its time and should end ?

More than willing to continue and also welcome any new members to sign up for the fun and games

It can be as easy or interactive as you like with

One person running the challenge ( Me )
or 2 people alternating every other month like the judging
or 4 people doing 3 months each

Will also be looking for suggestions as to items to make , but as we have seen the harder they are the fewer entry's we get :lol:

Any other suggestions more than welcome :mrgreen:

Regards

Allen :wink:

Reposed project list for 2013

a bowl
a platter,
a decorated bowl,
a decorated platter,
a box,
a hollow form,
an artistic piece ,
a child's toy,
an adult toy :shock:
a clock barometer or temperature gauge
a set of matching lace bobbins
a pair of candle sticks,
a vase.
a offset turning
xmas decoration

I have voted to continue it. I am looking forward to getting a lathe and entering myself, just to show you all how someone who has never touched a lathe before can win every month for the whole year.

By the way..... How big would the bribes need to be ?

I'd like to see it continue, although I'm pretty new to turning (only 2 years of self taught work), I would like to sign up and give it a go next year.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

deserter":1ic96xnb said:
I'd like to see it continue, although I'm pretty new to turning (only 2 years of self taught work), I would like to sign up and give it a go next year.

You are welcome to participate , If the challenge continues I will put up a entrants list so interested party's can add their names :mrgreen:

deserter":1vv9j8ba said:

I have only been turning for two years; I am largely self taught (apart from a day with Les Thorne and two half days with a local and experienced woodturner) and I've just won a second place. If I can, you can!!

I have also voted for the challenge to continue.

I've chosen continue as is, but don't have any objections to 1, 2, 3 or 4 persons running it, or even the winner of the previous month choosing the following months challenge :) as long as somebody gives me something to do :?

Hi Blister,

In terms of what we should turn next year, I think we need to retain the standby items of bowls and platters, but we have not had a box this year which is a surprise. I fancy the challenge of a hollow form, too.

My suggestions for next year are (not in any particular order): a bowl (at least 3" deep), a platter, a decorated bowl, a decorated platter, a box, a hollow form, an artistic piece (i.e. something of no practical use), a child's toy, a clock (or barometer or temperature gauge), a set of matching lace bobbins (say five), a pair of candle sticks, a vase.

HTH,

keep it going please, with who ever wants to work on it. Bit of a distance for me! I like the childs toy, perhaps an adult toy,(get yer minds out of the gutter), xmas decoration, vase, segmented, off centre , any thing to get me doing something in stead of work.

I would really like to see the competition continue next year.

Just a suggestion - some months I have plenty of time, others I hardly get to look at the lathe never mind turn anything. If several months worth of 'rules' to the different challenges were posted, it would allow turnings of 2-3 different items for the challenges on a weekend. I don't know if anybody else suffer from this or it would be considered outside the challenge of creating a piece within the month timeframe.

Cheers David

Alli":2yn3i9j1 said:

Just a suggestion - some months I have plenty of time, others I hardly get to look at the lathe never mind turn anything. If several months worth of 'rules' to the different challenges were posted, it would allow turnings of 2-3 different items for the challenges on a weekend. I don't know if anybody else suffer from this or it would be considered outside the challenge of creating a piece within the month timeframe.

Cheers David

Hi David

I understand your problem , however the whole idea of the original challenge was

1 item to be turned per month in the monthly challenge

I also voted for it to continue but with two people to run it, I have been more than happy with the organisation of the challange but everyone deserves a break once in a while so with two people they could either take it in turns or just fill in when required. As for projects I think it's important to bear those turners who are just starting out in mind with regards to what is possible with limited kit. One of the best bits of this forum is there is a wide range of skill levels on show and I've certainly learnt a lot from some of the more experienced turners so keeping it simple is the way to go I feel, there is normally enough scope in the rules to allow for all levels to test themselves so I'm all for continuing in the same vain. I'm happy to have a go at anything but as has been mentioned a box would be nice.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Blister":2fkvzyn5 said:
Alli":2fkvzyn5 said:

Cheers David

Hi David

I understand your problem , however the whole idea of the original challenge was

1 item to be turned per month in the monthly challenge

Fair enough, I thought that may be the case.

Cheers David

As a forum newbie and out of curiosity could I ask on average how many entries there are each month?

Cheers.

Stewart

Mod Edit:--All the entries for 2011 and 2012 are summarised in the roundups HERE

Goulss view the score board here http://ukwturningcomp.co.uk/ this will show you how many entires there are each month.

Ill vote to continue. I haven't been entering lately as work is taking up time and the photography competitions I enter take up the rest. I nearly got a bowl in this month.

I think it should continue. I haven't entered anything myself. Mainly because I'm doing this turning malarkey very casually, and some of the challenges scare the doodie out of me.
I also suffer from "turners block" and quite often stand in front of the lathe & can't make up my mind what I want to have a bash at. I recently turned a couple of tool handles from cherry, because I didn't want to make more candle sticks. :lol:

Tazmaniandevil":1bw59dap said:
I also suffer from "turners block" and quite often stand in front of the lathe & can't make up my mind what I want to have a bash at...

Thats exactly why I enjoy the challenge!
If one has customers or outlets or take orders then the decision of what to make is taken away, and you can get on with it. If its purely a hobby and, like me, you are not of an inspirational artistic bent the ideas are not so free flowing and as you say, you end up standing in the shed trying to think of something to do.
With the ongoing challenge we have a starting point which invariably leads to other ideas etc.

I think if it were not for the monthly challenge i would have done a lot less turning or maybe even given it up and spent my hard earned on something frivolous ... like food and bills! :wink:

I think if it were not for the monthly challenge i would have done a lot less turning or maybe even given it up and spent my hard earned on something frivolous ... like food and bills! :wink:

Me too

I would have spent it on Drink, Drugs, Smoking, Wild lady's , The rest I would waste :lol:

Back