2012 May Challenge ( discussion thread )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Blister,

Any rule to distinguish a platter from a shallow bowl, such as the requirement for a flat bottom (there, I've said it, too :mrgreen: ) to part of the top surface?

Mike

henton49er":2mil8zqh said:
Hi Blister,

Any rule to distinguish a platter from a shallow bowl, such as the requirement for a flat bottom (there, I've said it, too :mrgreen: ) to part of the top surface?

Mike

Hi Mike

A Platter is a Platter
A Bowl is a Bowl

be careful how you interpret as our Judge this month knows the difference :wink:

Hmmm, he might, but I don't and I was thinking of jumping in for the first time this month. Could you elucidate please?

Hi Allen , glad to see you are carrying on running the challenge , I'm sure if you need help at any time most on here would row in and help out .

Noggsy":3rtor7ge said:
Hmmm, he might, but I don't and I was thinking of jumping in for the first time this month. Could you elucidate please?

Have a look in a dictionary / bowl /platter
Then look on Google images

That may give you a clue what the difference is :wink:

nev":2gr0es1o said:
I think the biggest clue is here

indeed - everything explained, and illustrated, by an unimpeachable source =D>

Jonzjob":2b6ud0so said:
Nev, I think that some of those look like shallow plates? What's the difference between a plate and a platter?

http://thebeaverwoodworks.com/platesandtrays1.html

the answer would be that these are not products labelled 'platters' by the challenge judge on his website.......

they may, or may not, be judged platters; it's a clearly a very fine line. happy to definitely seperate goblets and platters but between these extremes there's a lot of scope!

I just googled 'difference between a platter and a bowl'
and it was the link at the top of the page and to Pauls web page :shock: spooky!

Oxford definition of platter = a large flat dish or plate for serving food:
Oxford definition of plate = a flat dish, typically circular and made of china, from which food is eaten or served:
Oxford definition of bowl = a round, deep dish or basin used for food or liquid:

my own interpretation is - a platter is for serving food on, a plate for eating food off and a bowl is something you'd have your cereals or soup in. A dish is an attractive member of the opposite sex, or anything that is washed up after dinner, as in, I'll do the dishes!

Just to be on the safe side, I shall stick to a flatter bottom, possibly on a (very) small pedestal, no thicker than 2 inches overall I think, something similar in shape to whatever is on the judges 'platter' page, as his is the only opinion that will affect the judging.

Shrewd Nev very shrewd , the auld grey matter is working overtime I see. :wink: :wink:
If you can make one very close to the judges ones you have cracked it. 8) 8)
Unless he is not too happy with his designs and is still serching for {THE ONE} who knows. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Best of luck.

The simplest way to differentiate - you wouldn't eat your soup from a platter! :wink:

Obviously there is going to be some overlap with platters and plates (who defines how large is large?) and you could probably argue that there is a grey area between platters and shallow bowls so I will try to bear that in mind when it comes to judging.

Jonzjob":38pyrv87 said:
Paul Hannaby":38pyrv87 said:
The simplest way to differentiate - you wouldn't eat your soup from a platter! :wink:

Why not? You can get soup-in-a-basket in some pubs can't you? :?

Boysie, please don't either encourage Nev or feed the lions with yer fingers at the zoo mate! :twisted:

Nev,like everyone needs a little encouragement every once in a while dont you Nev, :?: and I have no idea what a zoomate is so there . :oops:
As for soup in a basket ,the only thing I got in pubs was Porter and lots of it if you had the farthings. :lol:
Do they serve those 'horse devours in baskets ?the French will try anything. :roll:
Plates have a little hollow ,Platters have a bigger hollow ,and Bowls have a hugh hollow ok ye got that.
Now where's that bloddy Lion him was speakin about :evil:

gregmcateer":jtzbhmm5 said:
An aside - is a broken platter a splatter? #-o

dont know about that, but I do know that finding a screw in your platter blank, with your favorite bowl gouge, is not recommended!

It would appear to have been put in the tree early in it's life, and the tree absorbed it...

the only good news is that it was in material scheduled for removal, the bad news is that I am obviously concerned about finding another #-o oh, and I was only taking fine cuts at the time too...still provided one hell of a 'moment' :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back