2012 February Challenge ( discussion thread )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not what I was expecting - but it's certainly 'what it say's on the tin'; and challenging in many ways!

are there specific elements the judge will be looking for, or is it a case of 'he will know them when he sees them' - which is fine too.

A bit different from what I had imagined, but no less of a challenge.

Now to put the grey matter to work..............

Should be some very interesting entries for this one. Looking forward to seeing them.

Good luck to all.

jumps":7jj3p8gd said:
not what I was expecting - but it's certainly 'what it say's on the tin'; and challenging in many ways!

are there specific elements the judge will be looking for, or is it a case of 'he will know them when he sees them' - which is fine too.

how you interpret the requirements and how you suspend the ball
:wink:

Blister":39cmgtmd said:
jumps":39cmgtmd said:

how you interpret the requirements and how you suspend the ball
:wink:

a couple on the rules, rather than the interpretion of the requirements then -

1. all components to be lathe turned - no other woodworking processes off the lathe except glue?
2. drilling on lathe - permitted or counted as piercing?

thank you

I do not fully understand the requirements for the February competition.

For example:-

The suspended ball must be a minimum of 50mm and a maximum of 100mm ( 2" - 4" ). Does the ball have to spherical, or can a rugby ball shape (for example) be used?

No restrictions re size or amount of components used in the construction of the means of suspension. Suspension usually means supported from above, not below. Is this what is intended, or do you just mean held off the base?

All components are to be lathe turned and made of wood ... Does this include the means of suspension (i.e. no use of string, twine, cotton, fabric etc to provide suspension)?

Mike.

Does the ball have to spherical, or can a rugby ball shape
Can be either

do you just mean held off the base?
Yes from above or below

All components are to be lathe turned and made of wood ... Does this include the means of suspension (i.e. no use of string, twine, cotton, fabric etc to provide suspension)?
No string, twine, cotton, fabric , All components are to be lathe turned and made of wood

Thanks

Not trying to be awkward here, but does any hole drilled on the lathe have to be in the middle of the item being drilled?
Does it have to be straight into the wood?
With the right jaws on the chuck, and with the headstock at the correct angle I could drill a hole just about anywhere in a piece of wood at just about any angle...

Hmmm, this could be a puzzler!!

So is my understanding correct, the ball can be held in place (supported) as long as its not the base piece thats supporting it?

Blister":t1rm5p84 said:
the ball can be held in place (supported) as long as its not the base piece thats supporting it?
Correct , Suspended , elevated , held away from , supported

Got it!! Let the planning begin!

cambournepete":1zgv1t5e said:
Not trying to be awkward here, but does any hole drilled on the lathe have to be in the middle of the item being drilled?
Does it have to be straight into the wood?
With the right jaws on the chuck, and with the headstock at the correct angle I could drill a hole just about anywhere in a piece of wood at just about any angle...

A further update on drilling

You will be allowed to drill holes , any size and angle , any amount, as long as it is for construction purposes only and not for decorative features

philb88":37wogg3p said:
Blister":37wogg3p said:
the ball can be held in place (supported) as long as its not the base piece thats supporting it?
Correct , Suspended , elevated , held away from , supported

Got it!! Let the planning begin!

so if this bowl was a ball this would be ok?
monosmall.jpg

(hope you dont mind me using one of your creations as an example johnny :oops: )

so if this bowl was a ball this would be ok?
monosmall.jpg

(hope you dont mind me using one of your creations as an example johnny :oops: )[/quote]

If it were a ball and lifted / elevated / suspended / raised / held aloft and the means of doing so was wood not metal then yes it would be allowed

Blister":2eepa8vd said:
If it were a ball and lifted / elevated / suspended / raised / held aloft and the means of doing so was wood not metal then yes it would be allowed

It would also not be allowed to be textured and coloured!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mike

I'm with Alli on this one, my head hurts just thinking about it, I had a idea in my head but "oh no" that would be far too easy (and would have been diqualified !!) so back to the drawing board. Really looking forward to this one as it will force me into doing something totally new and different. I can't wait to see what people come up with.

Good Luck everyone.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back