2012 Challenge , suggestions / Improvements ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone :lol:

Its time to start putting the 2012 challenge together

I think I can say overall its been a good year so far and that everyone has enjoyed the challenge , Please let my know if you have not and I will see what can be done

Looking forward to 2012 our Olympic year ( Olympic Games 27 July-12 Aug 2012 ) I would like your personal suggestions regarding the following points

1, What would you like to be doing as challenges each month
The August Challenge will have a Olympic theme
One month to include segmented work
wood choice shouldn't be a factor at all in the judging Yes / No ? . Keep the current judges requirements regarding whether the piece can be artistic or needs to be practicable.
free artistic month.
sculpture, a piece of art
Maybe a themed month where every one is required to say turn a box in a Chinese theme (which could lead to personal preseption arguments) or maybe the box has to have a finial or something.

a piece in the style of/inspired by a rose/church/visit to a restaurant - whatever.

a pair of candlesticks

2, Who would you like to invite to be our 2 main Judges + 1 reserve
Phil Streeting or CHJ????
3, I will be changing the points for next year to the following

1st 6 points
2nd 5 points
3rd 4 points
4th Highly commended 3 points
5th Highly commended 2 points
and everyone else who enters a piece 1 point
4, Does anyone have any problems or suggestions regarding the Rules Requirements criteria and 3 photos ?
5, I am willing to continue funding the challenge for 2012 :wink:
6, Please let me know if you will be entering in 2012 so I can start a list in this thread , I am going to get my name down so I can be first at something :p

Blister
boysie39
callumlovatt
darkness
jumps
Nev
gus3049
philb88
Hudson Carpentry
henton49er
Hesh
j1mbr0wn
dennisk
Wood spoiler
Silverbirch
monkeybiter
Steven
gerrybhoy70
maltrout512
Melinda_dd
duncanh
RATWOOD
RogerBoyle
Roger C
ScottishTurner
steadyeddie
gregmcateer

7, New work only to be entered in each monthly challenge " NO previously made items "

8, Anything else you can suggest to make it run smother and for everyone to enjoy it even more ?

All the best :wink:

As someone that has dipped in and out of the competition goings on this year, there is one thing that I have found very frustrating. Each month when the results are revealed, it would be a very great help if next to or beneath each placing there was a link directly to pics of the placed item. I have really struggled with finding what the winning items actually looked like.
If this could be added, it would be a great help.
Even better would be a competition page with pics and results for the year...

Si.

knappers":1i4j5j55 said:
As someone that has dipped in and out of the competition goings on this year, there is one thing that I have found very frustrating. Each month when the results are revealed, it would be a very great help if next to or beneath each placing there was a link directly to pics of the placed item. I have really struggled with finding what the winning items actually looked like.
If this could be added, it would be a great help.
Even better would be a competition page with pics and results for the year...

Si.

Like this

competition-roundups-t48986.html

Chas has already done a fine job for us all a full listing , it can be found in the sticky link at the top of the woodturning section :wink:

1. whatever - here to learn
2. whoever - tough task being managed well as far as I can see
3. excellent and appropriate
4. generally the recent clarity has helped. as to the specific aspects of the challenges the only area I would comment on is the general rule around segmentation, and it's working definition. 3 pieces of wood rules out a lot of techniques. As an example I was originally going to us 'inside out' for the vase but realised that this would have been 1 piece to 4 to 1 so ruled it out. So a long way of saying - can you please vary this a little more in 2012 - as an example permitting segmentation when the wider forms of decoration are also available?
5. thanks!
6. Yes
7. The behind the scenes work of you, judges, CHJ, Hudson C (and probably others!) makes it all seem to run effortlessly....... :)

What Jumps says =D>
plus
4. re the 3 pics, sometimes i found it difficult to get all the desired details into the 3 pics, but obviously there has to be limit, so how about between 3 and 5 pics but maybe limit the total size of all pics to 1mb? similar to what we have now yes? (3 x 0.3mb) but allowing that little extra detail if needed?

5. i am willing to donate a small pound or two towards the funding costs, so maybe open a paypal account, so we can contribute if we desire?

6. I'm in for 2012 :D (i will get a podium, i will get a podium, i will get a podium :) )

once again thanks to all that contribute in whatever way =D> =D>

Hi Allen,

After today, I reckon its all fine :D :lol:

Points system seems a good idea and will spread them around a bit. Current judges are fine with me as a reserve either Phil Streeting or CHJ????

It seems to be running pretty well now although, at the risk of being boring, I wish the support hadn't faded to such an extent. Hopefully, we will get a mega entry list next year.

I'm in for next year please.

I'll be in for next year, and actual try and entry a few! Damn jobs getting in the way!

Looks like its running fine to me, maybe a few smaller items, like the jewellery just to mix it up a bit. As it really seemed to get everyone thinking from there usual larger items?

PHIL

Only suggestion would be to enforce the judging rule that wood choose shouldn't be a factor at all in the judging. Keep the current judges requirements regarding whether the piece can be artistic or needs to be practicable.

Same current judges are fine.

Ill be entering and would donate.

Projects maybe instead of the xmas tree maybe have a free artistic month. One where its not a bowl, platter type of thing but something thats more a sculpture, a piece of art. Maybe a themed month where every one is required to say turn a box in a Chinese theme (which could lead to personal preseption arguments) or maybe the box has to have a finial or something.

Blister,

I would like to be added to the list for 2012. I will probably not submit every month as I am a relative beginner and don't yet have all the skills. However, I relish the challenge where the month's subject lies within my expertise.

Mike.

Hudson Carpentry":3cwdnuws said:
Only suggestion would be to enforce the judging rule that wood choose shouldn't be a factor at all in the judging.

I am afraid I don't understand this ........ seems to suggest we should all be turning blocks of lime in the challenges? Possibly me getting the wrong end of the stick, but I always thought that getting the best out of any particular piece of wood, or woods, was a key element of woodturning. This would include selecting a suitable piece of wood for a piece.

... but agree re Christmas challenge, and the idea of having a theme (possibly without the specific subject! - eg a piece in the style of/inspired by a rose/church/visit to a resteraunt - whatever.

henton49er":1080kpwx said:
Blister,

I would like to be added to the list for 2012. I will probably not submit every month as I am a relative beginner and don't yet have all the skills. However, I relish the challenge where the month's subject lies within my expertise.

Mike.

Mike

The whole point is to get you doing things you haven't done before. I only started turning, self taught June last year and am hugely proud to currently be at the top of the table. When this started I expected to end the year on 12 points and hoped (not expected though) to get a mention in despatches at some point during the year.

This month's winner has been turning about year and WOW look at his entry this month. Be inspired. Go for it. ... And that goes for anyone else thinking of joining in.

Count me in for next year, enjoyed my first one this month looking forward to more and i dont mind putting in a couple of quid in to paypal.

Jim

Hi all,

I'm happy to continue judging (although I've only jugded one so far and so there is plenty of time to be booo'ed off yet :wink: )

I think I like the idea of between 3 and 5 pictures, sometimes more would help truely show off the quality (or faults) in a piece of work. Perhaps the juge could request an extra photo to confirm a thought he's had, such as how is the bottom finished? I noticed there were no shots of the bottoms of any of those vases.... I may just be being picky!?

Keep up the good work all!!

Cheers

Richard

jumps":2vm25uv7 said:
Hudson Carpentry":2vm25uv7 said:
Only suggestion would be to enforce the judging rule that wood choose shouldn't be a factor at all in the judging.

I am afraid I don't understand this ........ seems to suggest we should all be turning blocks of lime in the challenges? Possibly me getting the wrong end of the stick, but I always thought that getting the best out of any particular piece of wood, or woods, was a key element of woodturning. This would include selecting a suitable piece of wood for a piece.

... but agree re Christmas challenge, and the idea of having a theme (possibly without the specific subject! - eg a piece in the style of/inspired by a rose/church/visit to a resteraunt - whatever.

There was quibble a few months back that the judges (then) was taking the wood choose into consideration design wise. A few turners can't get hold of the more exotic and nicer looking desirable woods due to there location. Some turners don't have a shop close to them to go by blanks from and some of them can't afford to by the blanks in bulk over the net. Just buying 1 or 2 blanks over the net costs more in postage than it does the blanks and means 1 blank could cost £10 or so.

You only got the wrong end of the stick because I didn't write what I meant to well. If an entry is of some very nice wood that the judge likes the look of, this could be a disadvantage to them described above. By all means use the nice woods if you can but the judge shouldn't let the look and features of a piece of timber sway his decision. If the turner has "made a feature" from some wood, showing a skill then by all means let it be judged.

I hope that makes more sense. its getting late.

henton49er":11thtwpe said:
Blister,

Mike.

I am one of the many spoken of that are just beginners. I have been turning just over a year now and probably only turn because of this competition. I brought the lathe before I was a member or even a viewer of this board. I do a turning now and again not for the comp and have sold a couple of things and had one order for some bobbins. My experience is quite low in turning. But if it wasn't for the comp my experience would be even less.

I like the idea of the Olympic theme as well as segmented work. It doesn't have to have hundreds of pieces and there were a few times this year I would have gone with "segmented" if I could have.
Judging is thankless and any one willing should be applauded.
I like the points being from 6 to 1 but that is enough.
I think 3dpictures are enough, but will go where the crowd goes.
I would be willing to send over some loonies if funding is needed.
I am very much enjoying this as it makes me think outside of my comfort zone at times,and sign me up for 2012.
There seem to be a lot of people who "dont have the time or their work is not good enough". Even for me there are times where time is short but what the hell, lets find an hour or two, doing something we enjoy rather than work.

My thoughts are that it is now humming along just great, with the direction from the judge to guide us and the joined up judging with a precis of what the judge has seen. With this sorted I would leave it as it is

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

As to the subjects of the monthly competition I think it must be remembered that we want to continue to be inclusive, encourage and motivate from beginner onwards. Just like was done this year we need to start the year on simpler projects and develop over the course of the year. Don't lose sight of bowls, spindle project etc.

I have to say the toughest month was the egg cup - producing 4 objects the same a real test. Maybe next year it could be a pair of candlesticks or other challenging copy project.

What I have particularly enjoyed has been the taking me outside of comfort zones and making me do different things and learn new techniques. At the start of the year I hadn't pyro'd, I hadn't carved and lots of the tasks set had not been attempted before. It has been a great motivator and would encourage more of the same.

Needless to say I will be in next year

Hudson Carpentry":10cyu4la said:
jumps":10cyu4la said:
Hudson Carpentry":10cyu4la said:

There was quibble a few months back that the judges (then) was taking the wood choose into consideration design wise. A few turners can't get hold of the more exotic and nicer looking desirable woods due to there location. Some turners don't have a shop close to them to go by blanks from and some of them can't afford to by the blanks in bulk over the net. Just buying 1 or 2 blanks over the net costs more in postage than it does the blanks and means 1 blank could cost £10 or so.

You only got the wrong end of the stick because I didn't write what I meant to well. If an entry is of some very nice wood that the judge likes the look of, this could be a disadvantage to them described above. By all means use the nice woods if you can but the judge shouldn't let the look and features of a piece of timber sway his decision. If the turner has "made a feature" from some wood, showing a skill then by all means let it be judged.

I hope that makes more sense. its getting late.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify - makes more sense put that way! Clearly it shouldn't be judged on the basis of the piece of wood you can get, or can afford, but you can't take the wood choice/selection out of the equation completely =D>

I`ve really enjoyed taking part this year and seeing what others come up with to interpret the various challenges. I would like to take part again next year.
I agree with most of what has been said so far, but
you can't take the wood choice/selection out of the equation completely
. I think Dennisk`s choice of wood for his vase this month, for example made all the difference to his entry and it was locally sourced.
I think having one or two theme months included alongside those where the required object is specified would be good.
Also, how about a month where the forum members vote? Would that be practical?
Well done to the judges and organisers. I hope they will be happy to continue next year.

Ian

Back