2012 Challenge , suggestions / Improvements ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would take part if their was a judging panel rather than an individual juding which would make it much fairer and would avoid the spats we have seen between judges and competiitors and entrants in earlier rounds. Also I could be a judge as I have the years of commercial experience and background that some of the other judges don't have. I have had to drop out of of the forum over the past few months for personal reasons bt hope to make a more of a contribution in future.

gnu":1x6kuaav said:
I would take part if their was a judging panel rather than an individual juding which would make it much fairer and would avoid the spats we have seen between judges and competiitors and entrants in earlier rounds. Also I could be a judge as I have the years of commercial experience and background that some of the other judges don't have. I have had to drop out of of the forum over the past few months for personal reasons bt hope to make a more of a contribution in future.

gnu
Perhaps its best to not get involved if the way its run at the moment is not suitable for you
As far as I know since our little hiccup with entrants comments / judges comments it has run smoothly , most unknown events may have some teething problems to start
but these do get ironed out as they have here

A little reminder what this challenge is all about :-

Just over 1 year ago I noticed that posts in the woodturning section of the forum were beginning to decline so suggested we have a 2011 challenge
Over 50 people said they were interested in taking part so the 2011 UKworkshop Challenge was started
If you have read the entrants comments ( Maybe not as you said you have been away ) after each challenge most are positive saying it has pushed them in a direction they would not have gone without the challenge , and how much they have enjoyed or how difficult it was
I have financed this years challenge and run it ( With input from the entrants ) , This I am more than happy to do and will be doing again in 2012
So as this is a personal challenge designed to be fun and friendly , it has NO big cash prizes just an event between a group of people who enjoy woodturning and the challenges it brings However you do get a small award if you win

I do not know you personally or know of your years of experience and can only assume you don't know Barry or Richard so don't quite understand your comment

I have the years of commercial experience and background that some of the other judges don't have.

Yes this is a public forum and you are entitled to your opinion / comments as you have done above , Thank you for raising them

Allen

Blister,
Could you please add me to the list for 2012, I'm happy with the judges and rules and am just hoping this will give me a push to think more about what I'm doing and try something different each month. Work will probably get in the way on occasions but I would hope to enter as many months as I can.
Many thanks for your time in organising this as I'm sure it can't be a quick job.

Steve

Hi all

I was just catching up on this thread and it accured to me, regarding the wood issue, that one month we could have an item (whatever is decided, whether bowl or candlestick etc etc) and spray it black. That way wood is not a consideration, it purely comes down to design and finish. Only 1 month mind... it is a wood turning competition after all!! :wink:

Cheers

Richard

Hi i would like to be included in the list for 2012 Challenge do i email someone with my details or is this post ok Thanks

at the risk of being banished to the wilderness :shock: , what percentage of each of the finished pieces in the upcoming challenge needs to be turned to be classed as a turning challenge?
I ask this after reading DD's post about spiral candlesticks. As beautiful and technically challenging and skilled as they may be (esp. jonz :) ) i cant help but think that the majority of the 'wow' factor was not created with/on the lathe, but with a drill/ rasps/ carving type tools etc.
i may well be wrong, I've not made one (yet) and i am not in any way detracting from the skill involved, and I am only using the spiral as an example, (probably cos its beyond my skills at the mo :oops: ) but to save any disagreements arising in the FUN challenge to come does this need to be taken into consideration when the time comes?

discuss.
(insert smiley of man ducking and running for cover) :D

Back