2012 Challenge Scoreboard Improvments - Change Log 22-01-12

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about making the score board a but more interactive with each member.

Instead of a long thread with ready's and withdrawals which I can't keep up with to adjust the scoreboard manually, I thought each member could have there own very little, simple and basic area where they can click ready or withdraw. This would free up both mine and blisters time? I also thought for the 12th months members voting, this could also be done on the scoreboard which saves blister manually updating a tally?

sounds good to me..... as long as it's silly person proof as we all know i'm a bit of a techno phobe
......and that they lock all at the same time so no late's can sneek in!

sounds like a winner all round; faster to tick ready than post to a thread - 'ish :)

the main driver should be your time, and Allen's - you put a lot into this.

SEE SEE, the minute I said I was entering you change the whole bloody thing inside out !! I can just hear them saying lets change the picture posting system so that it will take him another four years to learn again.

Seriously you are all doing a super job and everyone knows that so onwards and onwards

Im going to use this thread to keep you all upto date on the new features and so I know where im up to.

Been working on it for a few days (hour here and there).

NEW points system.
Old system was a PITA which kept 3 different sets of data which all was used to record and display the points.
New system now only keeps 1 set of data which is only a number corresponding to that months status regarding your entry. All the scores and points are worked out on the fly as the page loads which means you always have the correct information displayed (excluding human error). This now also means if one persons status is recorded incorrectly, correcting the mistake don't require playing with everyones score. All in all its a better system that reacts better to human error.

Disqualified status.
I have added the status just encase anyone gets disqualified.

Honorable Mentions.
The board now supports a status of winning positions 4 and 5 and displays them as an honorable mention in each months winners board plus it shows in the table as a red number.

Current Leader.
This has been updated to read better when there are multiple contestants in first place.

Archives.
The database has been redesigned to be more future proof. There is a menu so you can view past years which includes last years.

Cleaner Table.
The table used to show / symbols for months yet to come. Now it just shows a blank space making the table easier to read. It also looks cleaner

Will you be able to incorporate 2011 scores in new format? I note the old 2011 link now points to the new format trial not the old style listing.

Anti Fraud/Spam.
When you sign up it logs the date and IP (date will also used for an other feature yet to be started/ IP so we can bar spammers etc). It also does some other stuff. The member will get a PM with a link. Its simple so don't worry. The link then confirms who they are (like signing up to forums etc). As this board is outside of this forum this prevents false members and spam populating the board. You only need do this once!

New members
New members that sign up now get a shout out welcome on the board!

Requirements
You can now view the month requirements under scoreboard

Countdown
In the right column you now have a bit of text that lets you know how many days are left till your entry needs to be marked. On the final day there will be a larger notice above the current leader section that counts down the hours and then once in the final hour minutes. The board will not let you mark your entry after the time thats published, although I have set it to give you 5 minute grace just encase you have a slow clock. The 5mins grace are hidden and are not included in the visual countdown!

Need a bit of input.

I don't wish to set the board to email you to an annoying level. So for the reminders I was thinking 2 days before end and then on the final day?

Naturally It will only email them thats not ready or withdrawn.

The board although manually activated will also send you an email once I know the results have been publish. Thats if im able to, if im away or forget the board has no way of knowing a thread as been posted with results in. I do plan a feature that will auto read threads at some point to which this could also be detected.

Just a suggestion, but how about a week before & then on final day?
Sometimes I'm not able to get any shed time for 3-4 days at a time, although I'll generally be looking to have my entry ready in plenty time anyway.

Other than that I don't have any problem leaving settings etc to your own best judgement - after all you're the one who has taken the time to build this and put it in place, so you should really be the one on control of what it can do & when.

Whatever the outcome of how/when a notification is sent, I'd just like to say thanks for doing this and well done on producing such a great board.
=D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D>

Thank you Gerry! It makes no odds to me as regarding programing all I need to do is change a number or array of numbers which takes seconds. There are also email laws and wish not to annoy people.

There of cause is a different option. Let each user decide. I could say default each account to get a reminder 7 days before, 2 days before and then on the final day but if you wish to change the days, amount of reminders, you can do so within the My Account area.

On that note ill think ill do this as each user has there own pref. Ill keep it simple.

7 2 and final sound good to me. I alway leave it till the last minute because I always think I have plenty of time... then it creeps up on me!!

Thanks for all your work on this, it looks great

Alan,
If it is feasible to have users set their parameters for reminders, that would be fantastic - and many many thanks for all your work - it looks great, (if only my turning was up to scratch, but I guess that's the idea of the competition!)
Greg

gregmcateer":25tovago said:
Alan,
If it is feasible to have users set their parameters for reminders, that would be fantastic - and many many thanks for all your work - it looks great, (if only my turning was up to scratch, but I guess that's the idea of the competition!)
Greg

The user choose is 90% done. I would have been done but I have eaten and got into the latest offering of Hustle on Sky+. Give me an hour and it will be live!

Back