20/50 oil & 140 grade oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Record 1984

Reaction score
I have an old 1976 Seagull outboard engine which needs 140 grade gearbox oil. The gearbox gets filled with a little water, emulsifies and goes to sludge, which is fine, that's just how they all work. Every 10 hrs of use, you top it up and it runs lovely. 140 grade gearbox oil is £15/litre, I have been given 15 litres of brand new 20/50 engine oil, (for vintage cars.) I don't have a vintage car and was wondering if I could use it in my Seagull gearbox? Anybody have any oil knowledge?
Much appreciated. Paul.

No, apart from there is a huge difference in viscosity your gearbox does not need a multigrade oil. One is for an engine, the other for a transmission with gears that requires the heavier viscosity oil.

No, apart from there is a huge difference in viscosity your gearbox does not need a multigrade oil. One is for an engine, the other for a transmission with gears that requires the heavier viscosity oil.
Thanks for getting to me so quickly. The 20/50 oil is very thick, for old engines that don't get very hot. The Seagull people say not to use grease as this will stick to the case and not the gears,therefore leaving the gears full of water.

The multi grade oils have a viscosity of the lower number, 20 weight in this case, that as the engine warms up thickens due to the additives to 50 weight. It will never approach the 140 weight of the gear oil. Substitute it if you want but not even close to advisable. Find a car club in the area with vintage cars and see if you can trade/sell the 20/50 for some 140 gear oil or cash to buy a litre or two of the proper stuff.

Pete

The multi grade oils have a viscosity of the lower number, 20 weight in this case, that as the engine warms up thickens due to the additives to 50 weight. It will never approach the 140 weight of the gear oil. Substitute it if you want but not even close to advisable. Find a car club in the area with vintage cars and see if you can trade/sell the 20/50 for some 140 gear oil or cash to buy a litre or two of the proper stuff.

Pete
Thanks. You're right, I should pay for the right oil, cheaper than a gearbox.

20/50 for vintage cars! I remember when it was for new cars, intead of monogrades and removed the need for summer/winter oil changes :) Still had 3000 mile change intervals though so lots of people did their own.

Best stick to the proper stuff, if I remember right its not just viscosity thats different, its additives and some high pressure capabilities. I remember Morris Oils were well respected and they do all kinds of odd stuff at sensible prices - monogrades for my VW camper (long before they were trendy and expensive), gearbox, differential etc. I think they still exist.

If youy are searching online, some suppliers have started to speak "Detroit American" so try Transmisson Oil as well as Gearbox Oil.

Sorry all, here's what you need so my post makes sense:

i

:)

(The perils, or is it perls, of varifocals and phone screens)

Pete

The oil doesn't thicken; at higher temperatures it becomes much more liquid, but the additives allow it to give a similar level of bearing protection against friction as a straight 50W weight oil.

20/50 for vintage cars! I remember when it was for new cars, intead of monogrades and removed the need for summer/winter oil changes :) Still had 3000 mile change intervals though so lots of people did their own.

Best stick to the proper stuff, if I remember right its not just viscosity thats different, its additives and some high pressure capabilities. I remember Morris Oils were well respected and they do all kinds of odd stuff at sensible prices - monogrades for my VW camper (long before they were trendy and expensive), gearbox, differential etc. I think they still exist.

If youy are searching online, some suppliers have started to speak "Detroit American" so try Transmisson Oil as well as Gearbox Oil.
Thanks for your advice, knowledge and a little trip down memory lane.

Back