2" x 72" UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickJoW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello lads

Ive been looking everywhere for a decent belt sander in the 2" x 72" configuration. It seems there are not many.. There are a few blueprint/kits available but they seem to assume the means to cut sheet steel and/or weld up to the specs.. The rest seem to be cheap Chinese imports that id probably avoid.

In an ideal world id get the one that Alec Steel sells but his grinder is only for the US.

So, do any of you fine fellows have any recommendations? This is for mainly metalworking BTW

Thanks Rorschach, geat tip. If it works out ill theres a fresh tin of beans in it for you:)

Any other suggestions would be welcome too

There are a few people that sell complete kits through facebook marketplace that look decent; of course you will have to put it together but it cuts down on costs a bunch i imagine. I would recommend you build your own if you or a friend has even minimum welding experience. I did this in 2 evenings from some scrap metal and a broken treadmill and had no welding experience before i started but its been going a year now and still doesn't blink whatever i throw at it.

93323040_10163567651135341_5771962731838046208_n.jpg

I am going to assume you know what/why you want a 2x72, but just on the off chance, have you though about what you are going to use it for and are there other tools that could do the same job? I use a 2"x36" grinder that works very well for my metal working needs and was much cheaper.

I am going to assume you know what/why you want a 2x72, but just on the off chance, have you though about what you are going to use it for and are there other tools that could do the same job? I use a 2"x36" grinder that works very well for my metal working needs and was much cheaper.
I did wonder - why would anyone want a 2x72" ?

the main reason for a 2x72" is the ability to up the ft/m speed without overworking the abrasive, this means you can shift more metal from solid form to powder form in less time.
I'm not in that much of a rush to be honest, so a I use a 100x900 belt sander for most tasks I need one for.

Hi,

If you've got decent workshop facilties have you considered buying an arc welder; it's surprising what fun you can enjoy with a welder. I've been welding for over 50 years and never tire of it saving lots of money whilst giving me freedom to make useful machines to my specifications and lots of other things often from scrap or offcuts.

Belt grinder_0001.JPG

My home made 2" x 36" belt grinder costing extremely little whilst being an interesting project. Here it's under construction.
Belt grinder_0002.JPG

The top roller assembly its spring loaded so to change belt just push down; the hand wheel is for tracking.
Belt grinder_0003.JPG

With home made attachments it's a very useful machine.
Belt sander_0001.JPG

Here's my home made 4" x 36" belt sander with belt removed; rollers are oak turned with a slight crown; the lever controls belt tension via a home made cam; again the belt can be changed in seconds. The top screws are simple for tracking.
Belt sander_0002.JPG

Belt sander with belt installed. The abrasive belts cost more than what it cost to build these machines. There's lots of pleasure to be derived in making ones own machines and these obviously can be special to suit jobs to be done on them. I'm short of space so both these are designed to be compact. They get well used.

Just passing a bit of time whilst the rain buckets down.

Kind regards, Colin.

There are a few people that sell complete kits through facebook marketplace that look decent; of course you will have to put it together but it cuts down on costs a bunch i imagine. I would recommend you build your own if you or a friend has even minimum welding experience. I did this in 2 evenings from some scrap metal and a broken treadmill and had no welding experience before i started but its been going a year now and still doesn't blink whatever i throw at it.

View attachment 110266

I know a Sega button layout when I see one! Arcade machines etc are another hobby of mine :D

Can I ask what the controller is for? Has it been repurposed?

I know a Sega button layout when I see one! Arcade machines etc are another hobby of mine :D

Jump, run, change weapon, spin and fire. the other is for later developments of the game.... sorry, I mean linisher.

There is a farcebook group called Home Built Belt Sanders. There are a number of makers that show their completed machines as well as full or partial kits and components. There are welded ones, some with tabs you put in slots before welding so everything is aligned and bolt together designs for those of us with no welder or skills to use them. I recall a Polish guy that has nice grinders at decent prices. I can't recall if there are many UK makers but you can poke around in there and see. There may even be a UK or Euro based group for all I know.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/847488865357217
Pete

Thats interesting, I had assumed the 72" aspect was that it reduced the frequency of replacming belts.. Which one did you get?

Thats interesting, I had assumed the 72" aspect was that it reduced the frequency of replacming belts.. Which one did you get?

There are many advantages to a 2x72 but it all depends on your needs because there are disadvantages as well, it's not as simple as 72" belts lasting longer (which they do, but they also cost more).
I have the Australian made multitool grinder which is fitted to a 900W Axminster slow speed grinder. I lose some efficiency due to lower belt speed for metal but I can also use it on wood/tools steel.

It was a street fighter deck now its the controller for the grinder. green = on, red = off and the joystick is a speed pot, the other buttons are just there for show 😅

I have a maxi grinder from Ali @downland linked above, has been solid and reliable for past 8 years.
There are quite a few more grinder makers now in the uk than there were.

If you look on Instagram for:
manchester grinders
118 blades
Mike palmer (hotbigmike)

They all make and sell them and have had good reviews

Back