2 slots filled !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been to the Cropredy Festival this weekend and there was a boot sale on Saturday morning here are my spoils
Dscn2947s.jpg

The chap was asking for £40 for the No7 and £15 for the No3, I paid £50 for the pair.
The record No3 has been used, but not much, only needs a little work and it will be a nice user. The No7 has been very wet at some time, there is some pitting on it.

Dscn2949s.jpg

But here are the interesting bits
Dscn2953s.jpg

Dscn2951s.jpg

This puts it as a type 11 and about 75 years old, I am now please the chap up the road wanted £35 for a recked newish one :shock:

I take it that Cropredy was good ??

May i say that if you feel in to a bucket of the preverbial you would come up smelling of roses :wink: Nice find dave

Bean

Bean,

Yes the most of the music was very good, I am sad to say (as a parttime sound man) the sound man at times did not do it justice :x .

I don't always smell sweetly but I do try :oops:

Dave,

Ooo, very nice. Good price too, 'cos round here at least #3s go at a premium due to scarcity. :D

I think I've created some monsters... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Who went ot the car boot on Staurday, and bought - nothing. :|

Nice find Dave and for a good price too. Our local boot sale got closed down by Trading Standards due to some silly person selling pirate DVDs. :evil: So I don't get a chance to go rummage any more although the kids are glad to not have to be dragged round.
Oh well, Tuesday tommorrow which means market day and who knows what treasures the Toolman may have this week. :p

Cheers,
Barry

Who found himself looking at a #4 1/2 and thinking that he should buy it as he hasn't got one of those. Gulp. :shock:

Nice purchase Dave.
Mrs T won't get up early for car boot sales on Sunday's and becomes 'somewhat grumpy' if I elect to get up and go out early on the only day where we are both at home all day together :(

mudman":28zrtn5c said:
Who found himself looking at a #4 1/2 and thinking that he should buy it as he hasn't got one of those. Gulp. :shock:

As I have said before I do not have a tool problem, I can stop using them any time I chose.

Alf":2fh7imho said:
Dave,

Ooo, very nice. Good price too, 'cos round here at least #3s go at a premium due to scarcity. :D

I think I've created some monsters... :shock:

Well he was asking £10 for #4s and £15 for the #3, the only one he had.

I did resist the #5 1/2 and the #6 :shock:

And I do hold you responsible for turning my head, I had managed quite well with just a #5 and #220 for years and years :?

Tony,

The LOML will not been seen dead at a car boot sale, I have to sneak off with out saying where I am going :eek:

DaveL":3d64vefs said:
And I do hold you responsible for turning my head, I had managed quite well with just a #5 and #220 for years and years :?
H'oh no you don't. :shock: I'm not having a mob of irate SWMBOs waving pitchforks outside the house again... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Well I have spent a little time working on the #7 and thought I would try it out.
Dscn2958s.jpg

Thats one of the pices of ash from Good Timber, I have almost flattened one side.

Dscn2962s.jpg

Its been very nice to watch as the grain has slowly appeared as I worked.

Dscn2959s.jpg

So another old tool is given a new lease of life, it makes a very satisfying sound as it slices through the timber :D

Alf,
I know the #7 is not cleaned up to your standards, but it will not be rusting any more and I am pleased with the way it works, a very nice user :)

H'oh no you don't. I'm not having a mob of irate SWMBOs waving pitchforks outside the house again...

Again.....???
you mean this is habbitual...????

<tutt tuttin...

shameeeeee...

Looking good Dave. I too have just received a #7 (thanks loads Mike) and find the sound quite pleasant.
Do you find the thing a little more difficult to use than the other hand planes?
I found that I couldn't joint a board edge the first few times I tried - always ended up convex :cry: :oops:
I experimented and have got the knack now; push HARD on front at start of cut and lean on the back with right forearm at the end :lol:

By the way, is the huge piece of Ash? for a new bench?

push HARD on front at start of cut and lean on the back with right forearm at the end

I'm still trying to work out why.... but every time I do that forearm trick, I end up pluckin hairs outa the forearm... brings tears t yer eyes...!!

Tony":24xkhrx8 said:
By the way, is the huge piece of Ash? for a new bench?

Quite right Tony, that is one of two that I got from Good Timber for £25 each. Bean suggested I look at the David Charlesworth book (now on chrimbo list) as he did a bench with the tool tray down the middle. Sounds like quiet a good idea, I hope to end up with a bench just over 2' wide and about 6' long. That will weigh as much as me so should be quiet stable. :D

DaveL
bearing in mind that it took two to get the wood into your car....Just how did you get it out ??

Bean

Bean,

Good point :D

I took the smaller bits out easy, then for the ash. Well the top bit, when I lifted the end by the tail gate slid on the bottom one and I managed to lift it out and into the garden. :) The bottom one I could not move incase it ripped the seat. :(

But LOML to the rescue, she held the end while I lifted the other end over the seats :D

Being in anorak mode I tested the moister, 11% not bad for air dried timber and then got the bathroom scales and stood a board on them, how about 5 1/2 stone (35Kg) :shock:

Latest posts

Back