2 OAK Quadrant's needed for Kithen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomthumbtom8

Established Member
Reaction score
OK I'm planning on turning an OAK quadrant on my Axminster lathe.

Now the quadrant is 76 mm in size by 900mm long that mean's it 152 mm square block of timber.

I need only two oak quadrants so I am gluing up the waste quadrant in pine, with lot of weight of differences would it be better to have the Oak offset.

OAK Pine on the top and then Pine Oak on the bottom when this is glued up. I wish there was a better way to do this but I don't have access to a spindle moulder

In the past I have drawn the quadrant on the end of a piece of 76x76, used the table saw and planer to get as near as possible then finish with hand plane and sand. It is quite easy and very satisfying watching it take shape.

Why not simply get 4 pieces of wood just over the size of the quadrant and do a paper glue up. Use cheap wood for two of these and place them diagonally opposed to each other that way no imbalance. Turn to the quadrant diameter then split. The only thing is to make sure that whatever centre you use will not split the glued-up blank as they will be right on the intersection of the glue lines. A ring centre is ideal for this or make a pad on each end of plywood.

Well after 9 month planning this project I offered the 900mm oak to the lathe and pipper me it's about 40mm too long so it's now hand planning and band saw.

and to add insult to injury my old stone is to small so I've ordered two diamond stones (jack plane).

Not sure what you mean by your old stone id too small. If you mean it is narrower than your plane blade then that isnt a great issue as you just sharpen the blade in a figure of eight motion so that effectively one edge of the blade is off the stone and then the other
Ian

Back