2 Man Canoe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I would post some pictures of my 2 man canoe. The hull is stitch and glue construction, the deck is made from cedar strips individually fitted over a temporary frame, before final fixing to the hull sides.

I'm pleased how it looks and paddles, it certainly gets more attention that the run of the mill plastic and inflatable canoes on the river!

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2678.JPG
    IMG_2678.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_2676.JPG
    IMG_2676.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 678
Outstanding, but where's the WIP!?

We need photos of the build. We need to hear about the successes, the challenges, the gory details and hospital visits. You can't drop something that fabulous in with a "here's something I knocked up last weekend" approach. Well - you can, but we will be jolly disappointed, I can tell you.

Looks love!y though. I am supposed to have started my paddleboard build, but it won't be happening now until December at the earliest,so I have to live vicariously through other people's boat builds. (That's a hint, by the way).

I recall my late Father making something similar in the late 60`s in the hall way of our home, it was a 3 seater and even had a mast and sail as I recall - I wonder what happened to it, be ideal here on the Broads. This is a great looking canoe and I to would be interested in a WIP description even if retrospectively.

And just like we need shavings pictures in plane making threads, can we see it afloat :D It looks amazing, and great fun !

Sheffield Tony":3m2ljzrf said:
And just like we need shavings pictures in plane making threads, can we see it afloat :D It looks amazing, and great fun !

Absolutely! If we don't see it getting wet, it never happened!

Ok Ok Ill post some more pictures later. The build doesn't take that long, its the finishing, varnishing etc!

In answer to the stitch and glue question, I bought a pre cut kit for the boat from Fyne Boat Kits so everything was accurate, which helps a great deal. There is a definite technique to it, not getting too ambitious and tightening the stitches up out of sequence, oh and lots and lots of clamps!

Kayak v Canoe, Fyne selling them describe it as a canoe, but could be either depending on seating/paddle and paddle arrangements!

A kayak is paddled with a double ended paddle in a seated position. A canoe is paddled with a single ended paddle normally in a kneeling position

Hi

Sorry for the thread resurrection, house move and being without broadband for a month (thanks Openreach!) causing delays.

I was asked to post more WIP pictures, here's a couple showing the inner gunwale and the finger joints being glued up. I also made up a long bench to make it all on!

Thanks

Attachments

• P1070325.JPG
    P1070325.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 348
  • P1070329.JPG
    P1070329.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 347
A few more WIP pictures: showing the stitches and forming the shape of the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 342
  • P1070335.JPG
    P1070335.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 341
Here's a few more of the build process - gluing the aft and stern required lots of clamps and a few screws to hold it all in place

Attachments

• P1070338.JPG
    P1070338.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 341
  • P1070339.JPG
    P1070339.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 341
A few more - getting ready for the gluing up, the seams are made up of an epoxy, with saw dust and then taped over.

Attachments

• IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 340
  • P1070343.JPG
    P1070343.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 339
Hornbeam":2ydqmz1a said:
A kayak is paddled with a double ended paddle in a seated position. A canoe is paddled with a single ended paddle normally in a kneeling position

As some who spent much time in a K1 slalom canoe in my youth, can say that in British usage canoe (and canoeing) is an umbrella term covering both types of canoe: canadian canoes and kayaks.

Love this wooden beauty!

Once glued up I could start on the decks.

First I had to add the extra bulkeads to allow the deck to be formed, they were glued with hotmelt glue to allow for easy removal later. I used a mixture of cedar and paulownia strips. This was very time consuming as really you had to let each strip dry before you could fit the next. On a good day I managed 4 strips!

The deck combing was probably the hardest bit, took every clamp I had!

There's a fuller description of the build here:-

https://forum.fyneboatkits.co.uk/viewtopic.php?id=603

It does paddle well, very quick and gets lots of comment. No pictures to post though!

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_2241.JPG
    IMG_2241.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 183
Very nice! I will be making a start on a stitch and glue thing soon (I promise!), so I will need all the help I can get. And all the clamps I can get, too.

Just one little photo of you out on the water, and it is complete. I know it's not really the weather for it, but any excuse to get out...

Back