2 for oscar g.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
what have you done since the bunnie rabbit oscar? You havent posted any pics lately.

I'm getting more and more requests for animal shapes.
This is Ronnie the rhino and Nelly the elephant, both found a new home within a day of creation.

nelly and ronnie small.jpg

Attachments

• nelly and ronnie small.jpg
    nelly and ronnie small.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 351
Very nice bob as per your usual standard I must say. Quick question; how do you do the cut outs for the legs on Nellie? Her trunk would seem to get in the way of doing it on the bandsaw and I know you have an aversion to hand tools!

memzey":71gw8x9n said:
Very nice bob as per your usual standard I must say. Quick question; how do you do the cut outs for the legs on Nellie? Her trunk would seem to get in the way of doing it on the bandsaw and I know you have an aversion to hand tools!

Made from multiple layers, and the middle layers don't have legs :)

Memzey, you know exactly how unconventional I am :roll: :roll:

Nev, nope, far too organised for me (hammer) (hammer)

Once the shape is cut on the bandsaw, I use my NEW TABLE SAW (yay!).
Safety minded people should look away now.... I remove the riving knife and cut with very careful positioning in dead centre and to the max height, then multiple cuts each side reducing height as I go.
And then my old standby, lots and lots of sanding. 8) 8) 8)

Just arrived back in the UK yesterday, its been 16 months since my last visit and its STILL raining, what is the matter with this country? The hefalump and rhino are now in their new house, just hope the grandkids don't destroy them too quickly. :roll: :roll:

sunnybob":6tmnd6of said:
what have you done since the bunnie rabbit oscar? You havent posted any pics lately.

Tell me about it! sigh... life gets in the way, always something I have to do, haven't had a day in workshop in yonks.

sunnybob":6tmnd6of said:
I'm getting more and more requests for animal shapes.
This is Ronnie the rhino and Nelly the elephant, both found a new home within a day of creation.

ha....those are FANTASTIC Bob, love them!

Especially the elephant, love the way you've done the pull handle to make the eye.

I'll show them to the Missus, sure she'll love them too.

Your best ones yet!

What wood is that?

I need to take a course in photography because I know my pics don't show them off well enough. Although they look good together, the elephant is I think my best animal box to date.

The wood is American black walnut (ABW) but I look for the stuff not wanted by furniture makers, with knots and twirls all over the place. It takes a lot of work to pick the best bits and position them, but it gives great character, and as its just a hobby I don't care about the time it takes.

The middle is a beech and plywood sandwich, cheap wood just for filling.

All about the lighting!

Yeah I think the elephant is my fave of all your boxes. My missus was a huge fan of it too.

Looks great, I'll have to have a go with walnut one day.

I'm still trying to visualise what you did with that table saw!

controlling the lighting is very difficult for me. Daylight here is so bright that it whites out the subject. But if I close doors and draw curtains, the room lighting is nowhere near enough. Because I don't "do" photography otherwise, I don't have special places or screens to help. I shall have to devise something.

You've seen utubes where the table saw is used to make a very wide dado by repeated passes? Thats what I do, but I start with the middle cut at the highest setting, then lower the blade a few mm and cut either side of the middle cut. Lower the blade again, cut either side again, and on until I have an arch. Then just lots of sanding to make it into the finished shapes.

Cunning beats skill every time. =D> =D>

I'm wondering if you can make a crude wooden frame then drape some tissue paper over it to diffuse the light, maybe?

Oh, so you ride the elephant along the fence backwards stopping the cut before the blade touches the trunk?

its always fun riding an elephant backwards across a fence :D :D =D> =D>

I promise to make a better light box for my next photographic excursion.

Back