• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2 chip chop axe heads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
IMG_20191202_213910.jpg
IMG_20191202_213648_338.JPG
IMG_20191202_213619_544.JPG

These have handles but really need cutting off and something more appealing fitting . Both for restoration if desired or a handle and a grind will make em usable .
£5 each
Cheers Andy
Near Hinckley

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_213648_338.JPG
    IMG_20191202_213648_338.JPG
    666.1 KB · Views: 1,010
  • IMG_20191202_213619_544.JPG
    IMG_20191202_213619_544.JPG
    757.2 KB · Views: 993
  • IMG_20191202_213910.jpg
    IMG_20191202_213910.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 992
I'm interested in the clean one Andy, can you post it?

KimG":l8xac9bu said:
I'm interested in the clean one Andy, can you post it?

Ok , yes, it should not be much 8)
PM me your address and I'll quote it.

El Barto":l8xac9bu said:
Are either of them single bevel?
Not yet :wink:
These may well (edit #NOT#) be hard enough all over to take an edge on the side but remember the eye is not offset and the faces would need work for the edge to be clean.
Cheers Andy

toolsntat":2hdskf0n said:
These may well be hard enough all over to take an edge on the side but remember the eye is not offset and the faces would need work for the edge to be clean.

I don’t want to detract from the sale post and infringe rule 3 of the FS board rules, but weren’t these old Kent pattern heads predominantly made from a piece of mild steel bent around a form to create the eye then the cheeks forge welded shut with a piece of high carbon steel in between like a sandwich? If it’s done like that then possibly you wouldn’t be able to get an edge to hold sharpness if it’s ground to a single bevel as it would be on the mild steel part of the sandwich. I may be totally wrong though!

Mods, please remove this post if unacceptable.

Trevanion":1wxc29ct said:
toolsntat":1wxc29ct said:
These may well be hard enough all over to take an edge on the side but remember the eye is not offset and the faces would need work for the edge to be clean.

I don’t want to detract from the sale post and infringe rule 3 of the FS board rules, but weren’t these old Kent pattern heads predominantly made from a piece of mild steel bent around a form to create the eye then the cheeks forge welded shut with a piece of high carbon steel in between like a sandwich? If it’s done like that then possibly you wouldn’t be able to get an edge to hold sharpness if it’s ground to a single bevel as it would be on the mild steel part of the sandwich. I may be totally wrong though!

Yes, valuable information and thanks for taking the time to highlight it. I am unsure of the production methods for this model. Perhaps we need an experimental grind :idea: :wink:

Trevanion":dfm8ox40 said:
toolsntat":dfm8ox40 said:

I think this is true for a lot of pre-factory forged axes. It's not too difficult to check out. You buff up the bevel to a reasonable level of shine, de-grease and then apply a mild acid solution. The resulting etch should give a clear indication if there are two types of steel there.

Just checking if you got my last reply Andy, I am OK with it Sans Handle.

Ah cheers Andy, pm me the payment details when you're ready.

Back