2.5in bandsaw table inserts - where to get them in UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_Chavez

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a very old Axi 14" bandsaw (Delta 14 clone) with a 2.5" table insert (side notch).
The table insert is getting to the point where it's barely doing its job, so I think I'm long overdue for a replacement.

Does anyone know where I can buy a table insert in 2.5" (that's 63mm) in the UK? The only ones in this size seem to be sold in US and shipping + handling/import fees make them stupidly overpriced for a tiny piece of plastic/aluminium.

I'm getting close to drafting one to be 3d printed, which will probably still work out cheaper than importing from US.

On a serious note, thank you for the suggestion.
Is HDPE safe to sand on a disk sander & put through a drum sander for thicknessing? Or will it melt & gunk up the paper?

I never understand why bandsaw inserts get so much press, I just make replacements out of mdf or ply, make a few at a time, takes about 10 mins.

Am I missing something :dunno:

I most certainly wouldn't trust an mdf or ply insert for doing fine cutting on the bandsaw, where the piece has to rest on/might strike the insert...
For cutting large stock, I imagine one can go without an insert at all, so no difference there?

I find off-cuts from laminate flooring make brilliant inserts. Use them upside-down and the bottom surface is smooth and hard.

My Hammer bandsaw uses round inserts, so I use an adjustable fly-cutter to make them, but I guess I could use a lathe or even the bandsaw itself with a simple jig.

Chap on ebay selling inserts
- Items for sale by 3d.plastic | eBay

" I can be contacted at any time through eBay messages if you have any questions, comments or product requests. I will endeavour to respond to you within 24 hours. Please contact me with any questions or concerns. "

I usually find a panel or piece of plastic of the right thickness and cut out the insert with a hole cutter, put it on an electric drill and spin and sand it too fit, then cut the slot on the bandsaw, drill as many holes as you need for dust extraction.

Back