2/3rds gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybuntus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I'm looking to make some gates like the following

Wessex%20GRP%20side%20hinged%20garage%20door%20York%202-3rd%201-3rd.jpg

But in a much fancier design like this?

premierplus-helmdon3.jpg

I'd like a horn? at the end (nearest the piers of each gate) to make it look less plain.

I'm struggling to figure out if the gates would look 'odd' not being symmetrical, what do you think?

The gates will be painted (softwood) and the reason for 2/3rds is the larger of the two gates will only be opened to maintain the shed wall behind the gate (yet to be built). The smaller of the two will be used to carry my gear in and out of.

Thanks

Hold a piece of card up to your picture obscuring one half of one gate and decide for yourself.
Looks alright to me but i`m not going to look at them every day. HTH
All the best
rob

Not quite the same thing, but for our last house, I made an assymmetric pair of "farmhouse style" 5-bar gates for the drive. The larger part had a bolt into the drive that could be locked, and the smaller one had one of those flipover handles so it could be used as a pedestrian gate. I thought they looked fine and very practical, but in matters of aesthetics, only you can know!

Could you make the wall of the shed attack to the pillar like it was a gate but no need to make it open at all. Then the project turns into making a small single gate in whatever style you choose either to match the shed wall or to contrast but complement it.

Bob

9fingers":1ggm00a9 said:
Could you make the wall of the shed attack to the pillar like it was a gate but no need to make it open at all. Then the project turns into making a small single gate in whatever style you choose either to match the shed wall or to contrast but complement it.

Bob

The idea was to have a 'removable' shed so if we were ever to sell the garden has access for parking.

This looks ok, so it should look reasonable I think?

Obviously a different style but same idea

Gates.~Canova~01.JPG

I think the key will be not to highlight the 2/3rd divide in the gates. Try and draw the eye to the ends

OK Understood.
Why not have equal gates and accept that part of your shed is exposed when the gate is opened?
Just seems you are making more difficult that it needs to be- but you know more what you want.
Bob

9fingers":2ld6qlxe said:
OK Understood.
Why not have equal gates and accept that part of your shed is exposed when the gate is opened?
Just seems you are making more difficult that it needs to be- but you know more what you want.
Bob

You know that doesn't sound like such a bad idea. I suppose its still only going to be 3.5 feet per gate if I take off a foot for the rails and frame

I'm a newbie so this might be a terrible suggestion and all of the previous posts seem like good suggestions but what about making three gates each taking up 1/3rd of the opening but only having one as an opener, that way you can keep the symmetry?

Alex

sw_edge":ia0gltnx said:
I'm a newbie so this might be a terrible suggestion and all of the previous posts seem like good suggestions but what about making three gates each taking up 1/3rd of the opening but only having one as an opener, that way you can keep the symmetry?

Alex

That just sounds like hard work? And while I'm hanging them I'll have to explain to passers by why I've got three gates? Then they'll really think I've lost the plot when I have to explain how EVERYTHING MUST BE SYMMETRICAL :shock: :lol:

billybuntus":2wqdgq91 said:
sw_edge":2wqdgq91 said:

Alex

That just sounds like hard work? And while I'm hanging them I'll have to explain to passers by why I've got three gates? Then they'll really think I've lost the plot when I have to explain how EVERYTHING MUST BE SYMMETRICAL :shock: :lol:

Solves the problem
all the best
rob

Why not make the gate full size-with horns on either end as in your first vision, then use a circ saw and a track/guide to cut the gate at its 1/3 mark (after suitable bracing has been added on the back of the gate to compensate the cut ).

Back