2 1/4" plane irons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wachenga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been browsing the forum for a while now, gleaning useful snippets here and there and seeing how you're such a knowledgable bunch thought it time I asked a question.

I have a 'new' Stanley 5 & 1/2, well it's new to me, but it's an old low knob version that's in need of a clean up and a new 2 1/4" blade. I'd like a nice one, e.g. Hock A2 but don't think they make a 2 1/4" blade. So what are the alternatives?

Oh, a little bit about me, I'm on the home stretch of my city and guilds 6955 handcrafted cabinet making course (level 2). Just had a load of lovely looking planks of unsteamed beech delivered to my college so I can start my final project, a workbench, erm not to sure where I'll put it once it's built though....

Thanks
Liam

Hi Liam,
Welcome to the forum!
Just a question: are you sure you need a 2 1/4" blade? If I'm not mistaken (I have been known for the odd mistake :wink:) a 5 1/2 takes a 2 3/8" blade. Lie-Nielsen blades are my favourites, but I haven't tried the Hock A2 blades.
Frank

Welcome to the forum, Liam. :D

wachenga":1paokw4g said:
I have a 'new' Stanley 5 & 1/2, well it's new to me, but it's an old low knob version that's in need of a clean up and a new 2 1/4" blade. I'd like a nice one, e.g. Hock A2 but don't think they make a 2 1/4" blade. So what are the alternatives?
Hock make's a carbon steel one though, and very nice it is too. I have one in my low knob #5 1/2 which I got via Mike Hancock at Classic Handtools. Might be cheaper to go direct though... The only alternative I can think of, apart from grinding down a 2 3/8" iron, would be to see if Ray Iles would make one. Or maybe Karl Holtey...? :wink:

Frank, the pre-1939 #5 1/2s had 2 1/4" irons. Makes for a slightly better proportioned plane in some people's opinion.

Cheers, Alf

I prefer the Hock high carbon steel to the A2 steel I have in my LNs. It seems to take a better edge and is easier to sharpen. I haven't really noticed any great difference in edge holding longevity either

Hi all, thanks for the help. I like the look of the Spehar Toolworks blade, the cap iron looks like a cracker too.

Cheers
Liam

Hello all --

I'm new to this forum, having expanded my horizons from the WoodCentral handtool board. Looks like you folks have some interesting discussions.

Re: irons for older 2.25" 5.5s -- I was recently in a similar situation with a KeenKutter K5.5 that I acquired with a 2" substitute iron and a badly deformed cap iron. As others have noted, Ron Hock stocks 2.25" carbon steel irons. What is not listed on his website, but is also available by special request, is a 2.25" Hock cap iron. You buy a 2-3/8" cap, and pay an extra $5 USD for them to grind it down to 2.25". Looks and works great, and was compatible with the existing screw. Just send an e-mail (to hock tools) to make a special request.

No affiliations just a satisfied customer,

Dave

Back