1st post; new work SHED thoughts and suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1ke_a

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all and apologies in advance for this book of a 1st post.

I discovered this forum after doing some interweb grazing on workshop ideas. I've already read a number of the threads and there is some fantastic work and very helpful people on here. Trouble is, the quality is so high that I don't know whether to be disheartened about my non existent abilities or not! :D

Anyhoo, can I ask for some thoughts and opinions on a replacement shed / workshop?

My existing pent shed is 12 X 8, rotting away in one corner and currently stuffed with my bicycles. Because of lack of time and storage space, I won't be able to build something myself so have spoken to two local shed firms for quotes. Based upon a 14' wide X 16' long apex, it's looking at £3.3K plus for the building alone.

A friend can do me a 5m X 4.6m concrete raft and I've yet to a detailed conversation with a sparky about hard wiring it all.

It will predominately (need to) be used as a storage facility but I'd like to do more woodworking / diy jobs inside as opposed to out on the back patio.

Questions
These dimensions pretty much cover the very bottom of my garden. If I followed the non planning permission boundary rules to the letter, I'd only have a shed 4 ft wide! Anyone foresee a problem?
Is it worth insulating and boarding up the interior? - I can do this afterwards with celotex, OSB etc etc
I've asked for a double door at one apex end and have been wondering how best to construct a work bench that could cater for all tasks. One continuous run of bench and cabinets down one length or go with a couple of separate (mobile) units to eventually handle a router table etc?

Thanks

Mike

Hi, and welcome to the forum - I hope you'll find it as useful as I have, loads of folks here with bags of experience (I'm not one of them btw).

I'm just about to embark on a similar project, can't help but think that the price you've been quoted is high. I've just ordered a 20'x10' cabin from Tigersheds and there was an outfit called Dunsterhouse which were very similar. Anyway thought you might want to take a look before comitting.

I'll be celotexing the hell out of the place and installing a wood burner for what its worth.

Cheers

My missus wasn't overly impressed with the pricing either. Mind you, the most local place quoted over £4.3K! :shock:

That said I have well and truly fallen in to the Festool trap this past month and haven't mentioned how much I've spent on some new toyz :wink:

I think you have answered your own question re the width, in a way. You say planning rules, determine 4'. You also say your present shed is 8' wide, and has rotted away at one corner, given that it takes (some years) to rot means that your 8' wide shed has been in its position, and produced for some years. Might I suggest you'll probably get away with 6' wide and what ever length as is practical...bosshogg :)

It was my understanding you can put as many sheds as you wish in your garden as long as they don't cover more than 50% of the surface and as long as they are no more than 4m high and more than 1m from the boundary.

If I am right then from what you are saying your garden is only 4m wide.

A 6foot wide shed is almost worthless, it doesn't matter how long it is, it won't be long before the front is blocked and the back unreachable.

What you have been quoted does sound like a lot but my wife works from home from a 6m X 6m log cabin at the bottom of our garden and from memory that was over £5000 before the cost of the base, electrics and interior fitting were added.

Even doing it yourself is a lot dearer than you first imagine, what you do get is a superior product.

Not much help really, sorry.

Mick

Hi Mick

If you cant do any of the build yourself then unfortunately it will cost serous cash a lot of the members like to build there own workshops for the quality of build and the experience.

Where are you in Sussex

johnf":33ojk0wq said:
Hi Mick

If you cant do any of the build yourself then unfortunately it will cost serous cash a lot of the members like to build there own workshops for the quality of build and the experience.

Where are you in Sussex

Hi John

I'm in Mid Sussex. I've got quotes from Sussex Timber products in Crowborough and Bakers in Bolney, who were the most expensive. Skinners in Bexhill never bothered replying to my email :roll:

In answer to other questions, yes the garden is very narrow but the 5 X 5m raft is probably about 30% of the area, and at the very bottom of the garden. Whilst DIY is nice I know for a fact that even the most basic unit would take me weeks if not months.

There's also the issue of the contents, that I don't have other storage for.

[edit]
Here's an idea of the junk in the current one :lol:
Bikes.jpg

Mike

mbartlett99":hk19vp8s said:
I'm just about to embark on a similar project, can't help but think that the price you've been quoted is high. I've just ordered a 20'x10' cabin from Tigersheds and there was an outfit called Dunsterhouse which were very similar. Anyway thought you might want to take a look before comitting.
Cheers

Cheers for the info. I've just looked at the Tiger sheds and their material specs are less than what I was quoted. One of my quotes has; 3" x 2" framing, 4" x 2" trusses, 16mm shiplap, OSB and Ondulite roof.

Now would that be worth three times the price of an equivalent Tiger? :?:

Hi Mike

I used these guys for my workshop. Mine is one of their timber garages which I upgraded to have double glazed windows, proper side door and frame and heavy duty felt shingles. Mine came in around £3k delivered and erected (it's 18'14'), but it was 5 years or more ago

I was impressed by their spec at the time and I've had no problems at all. I insulated and clad the walls and roof and the workshop holds it heat really well and is bone dry (i've never needed to protect the cast iron...!). You can get some idea of the build from my thread.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/jons-workshop-pictures-t21504.html

Regarding planning rules. My build was deemed a 'temporary building' and hence the planning restrictions were much more relaxed. I recall the suppliers provided me drawings that my BCO was happy with.

Regards, Jon

Hi
Just to let you know what i did in my garden

Its approx 40ft long and 20ft wide

I had a 20ft x 10ft shed built by a company from the midlands (130miles away). Its 3x2 covered with shiplap, 1 inch thick floorboards and 1 inch thick boards for the roof. No OSB used.
Pretty decent felt on the roof although i did use some Everbuild product on top for peace of mind.
The whole lot including erection was £1300.00
A sparky then came and ran cable to the shed through a trech i had dug and connected a consumer unit to it for £500.00

So total so far is £1800.00

I fitted the sockets bought from CPC

I will be insulating with fibre glass from Wickes (its on offer) and overboarding with OSB purchased of Eb*y. Total csot of that will be about £100.00

I have ordered a wood burning stove/pation heater type product of Ebay for £120.00

All in all, that should give me enough heat a insulation for the weekends and evenings i manage to get out there. Total cost about £2100

Suppose it depends on how long you will be out there and how often.

Back