• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1st fix nail gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quintain

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a 1st fix nail gun, either UK mains or battery NOT air powered everything considered, used, reconditioned, new even ugly as long as it works and the price is low.

Personally I use a hitachi nt65 which I picked up for a steal at £70 used in very nice condition. Its gas cartridge based which is great apart from the noise and should be used in a ventilated space as it works on combusting a flammable gas so there are some fumes, nothing to worry about though. I think it is as good as the much more expensive pasolades, however I dont use it all day every day so perhaps the couple of hundred £s extra is worth it for serious pro carpenters.

The hitachi also takes the pasolade consumables which is very handy as they are easily available from most retailers.

I cant comment on the battery nail guns, but I would expect to have to charge the battery frequently due to the large amount of kinetic energy needed to drive the nails in.

I have attached a pdf manual rather than describe the main features, however if you can find a working pasolade for less than £100 than I wouldnt pass it up.

Attachments

• hitachi_NT65GS_2015.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
If you do a search on the forum there are a number of threads which will be of interest.

I had gas Paslode 350 for several years, got a DeWalt 18v cordless (4 amp batteries) and promptly sold the Paslode, I've had the deWalt for a number of years now and in fact used it yesterday to fire several hundred 90mm and 50mm nails while erecting a fence, the battery lasts a long time between charges. It's slightly heavier than the Paslode but I certainly wouldn't swap back.
My mate puts up a lot of fences and after looking at my nailgun last year he bought a second hand one off facebook same but later model with 2 speeds and 2 x 5amp batteries for about £90 from memory.

Thank you ptturner & Lons
I wish I could find a battery nail gun about the price you quoted.

Are my thoughts on nail length of 3" or so (75mm) suitable for a roofing job I am considering (my 12m x 8m garage/workshop).
Also, I will be building a small shed for garden tools later this year probably using T&G into 3" sq framing.

I am trying to avoid a compressor gun as I do not have a compressor and I see it as something else to buy and maintain.

Most of my work these days are either in my w/shop or around it, hence my thoughts on an elec mains tool.

I use 3 nail sizes same as when I had a building company and built quite a few roofs. 50mm, 65mm and 90mm which are common sizes. Nearly all mine were/are galvanised ringshank.

Lons...thank you.
I will continue to look for a gun but since I have limited use for one these days I cannot justify a high cost, if you or others come across a 1/2 decent one at a reasonable price I would welcome a private message.

and yes " where the hell did the years go? ". I have 20yr old knees when I am getting down and much-much older ones when I am getting up.

Regards
Richard

a few options on gumtree.com, including a paslode for £70, which 'needs servicing', bit of a gamble.

Yeah Richard like most things there's a compromise, I couldn't justify buying one now I'm retired but am pleased to have it when needed. If you only need one for a few days is it worth checking out hire cost?

Yeah Richard like most things there's a compromise, I couldn't justify buying one now I'm retired but am pleased to have it when needed. If you only need one for a few days is it worth checking out hire cost?
Yes about hiring, 1hr ago I checked locally £20 a week I supply gas and nails for paslode.
Probably that is the way I will go BUT if I see a gun at a giveaway price I will be tempted.

Best Regards
Richard

Yes about hiring, 1hr ago I checked locally £20 a week I supply gas and nails for paslode.
Probably that is the way I will go BUT if I see a gun at a giveaway price I will be tempted.

Best Regards
Richard
that seems a very good price, I'd do that, as it doesn't sound that you can justify the cost of a new machine and it is pot luck what will come up used

that seems a very good price, I'd do that, as it doesn't sound that you can justify the cost of a new machine and it is pot luck what will come up used
Price is now hardening up:
Correctly for costing purposes ignoring cost of nails.
Also ignoring time to collect & return nailer to hire company about 30mins each journey (collect & return) = 1hr per hire = Total 2hrs time usage during 2021

1st week hire (about mid April) re-roofing garage/workshop = £34.00
1 week hire £20 + Vat = £24
Gas cylinder £10 or so thereabouts
Total (ish) £34.00

2 x week hire (about May-July) for probable garden shed build
2 x £24 inc VAT = £48
Gas (hopefully able to use previously purchased cylinder £0.00

N.B I probably cannot carry out the above tasks in less than 3 weeks.

Total hire cost for paslode 350 nail gun in 2021 £34 + £48
Total 2021 hire cost £82.00 with perhaps only a part gas cylinder left on workshop shelf.

An extra cost of £20-£50 would give me an infrequently used but available tool on my workshop shelf.

I am again considering at hopefully a modest cost (if available) to purchase a nailer.

Best Regards
Richard

The other thing to bear in mind Richard is that the fuel cells on a paslode have a limited life and the gas can go stale causing misfires or no fires. So given your anticipated usage if I were you I would seek out a battery operated one. You might find it more cost effective to buy a 'body only' and then buy a 4 or 5 AHr battery. Given your short bursts of usage one battery might be ok. I have a paslode that I've had for years and it is extremely useful but I would opt for a battery powered one now just because of the gas. But check the weight of battery operated ones, I've heard the Dewalt is a bit of a brute to hold in position.

The other thing to bear in mind Richard is that the fuel cells on a paslode have a limited life and the gas can go stale causing misfires or no fires. So given your anticipated usage if I were you I would seek out a battery operated one. You might find it more cost effective to buy a 'body only' and then buy a 4 or 5 AHr battery. Given your short bursts of usage one battery might be ok. I have a paslode that I've had for years and it is extremely useful but I would opt for a battery powered one now just because of the gas. But check the weight of battery operated ones, I've heard the Dewalt is a bit of a brute to hold in position.
Thank you...will a battery only which I would prefer give the 'clout' I occasionally need for 3" + nails.
But would the battery die a total death on me with my limited use.
I would consider a UK mains operated nailer if such was available.
I realise I am being a PIA to a lot of helpful people on this forum.

That’s a fantastic rental price & would make it an easy decision for me. Unfortunately my local hire place (HSS) charges £72.36 including VAT per week and can’t supply gas / nails. The only place locally that seems to stock gas is screwfix at £35.29 for 2. At your local prices I’d bite their hand off for my infrequent use! If you don’t mind me asking, is it a national chain you’ve got a price from?

quantain,

yours maths do seem to lean towards the value of a purchase if you find the right gun for the right money. If you need it now, maybe hire as a one off and keep an eye out for a good purchase in the coming months??

Thank you...will a battery only which I would prefer give the 'clout' I occasionally need for 3" + nails.
But would the battery die a total death on me with my limited use.
I would consider a UK mains operated nailer if such was available.
I realise I am being a PIA to a lot of helpful people on this forum.
Today's li-on batteries are pretty bomb proof. I've had the same 1 x 4Ahr and 1 x 5Ahr Dewalt battery for years, they have a charge meter on them that tells you if the battery is close to running out. After hundreds of charges they are still performing as well and don't lose their charge if not used for a good while. I'm not sure if you can get a mains operated first fix gun, I've never come across one.

Having said all this a lot of trades people are selling their paslodes as they're moving to cordless now, so you might be able to pick up a paslode 350 a lot cheaper and take the risk of having to replace a partly used gas canister say once a year (depends on the use by date on the canister, a lot of sites state this date on their adverts, Screwfix ones always seem to have a 2 year life but you should always check). Paslodes fire up to 90mm which is ideal for first fix framing work.

That’s a fantastic rental price & would make it an easy decision for me. Unfortunately my local hire place (HSS) charges £72.36 including VAT per week and can’t supply gas / nails. The only place locally that seems to stock gas is screwfix at £35.29 for 2. At your local prices I’d bite their hand off for my infrequent use! If you don’t mind me asking, is it a national chain you’ve got a price from?
Hi...I think !!!! GAP Plant & Tools Hire - Whitehaven, West Cumbria.
I think because I phoned 3 x local suppliers and I think it was their price. They do not supply gas or nails.
My gas £10 incl free P&P price was based on ebay search 'paslode im350 gas'
Your local hire price is horrible.

Today's li-on batteries are pretty bomb proof. I've had the same 1 x 4Ahr and 1 x 5Ahr Dewalt battery for years, they have a charge meter on them that tells you if the battery is close to running out. After hundreds of charges they are still performing as well and don't lose their charge if not used for a good while. I'm not sure if you can get a mains operated first fix gun, I've never come across one.

Having said all this a lot of trades people are selling their paslodes as they're moving to cordless now, so you might be able to pick up a paslode 350 a lot cheaper and take the risk of having to replace a partly used gas canister say once a year (depends on the use by date on the canister, a lot of sites state this date on their adverts, Screwfix ones always seem to have a 2 year life but you should always check). Paslodes fire up to 90mm which is ideal for first fix framing work.
Let me tell you a story.
Once upon a time a (not so) elderly (perhaps not so) gentleman owned a villa in Florida.
He carried out all his own maintenance when he and his wife visited annually from Sep to Feb each year.
He bought battery drills and each year the battery was bug**red when he returned and tried to use it, he bought a cheap mains drill and never used a battery drill again in Florida.
BUT perhaps batteries have improved since he and his wife sold the Florida villa 10yrs ago.

That was my history and concerns about an unused battery not frequently used.

Again thank you and all others for your help.

Best Regards
Richard

Let me tell you a story.
Once upon a time a (not so) elderly (perhaps not so) gentleman owned a villa in Florida.
He carried out all his own maintenance when he and his wife visited annually from Sep to Feb each year.
He bought battery drills and each year the battery was bug**red when he returned and tried to use it, he bought a cheap mains drill and never used a battery drill again in Florida.
BUT perhaps batteries have improved since he and his wife sold the Florida villa 10yrs ago.

That was my history and concerns about an unused battery not frequently used.

Again thank you and all others for your help.

Best Regards
Richard
I understand your scepticism but battery technology has moved on a great deal since then! However I don't think you will find one at the price you want to pay anyway, that's why I'm suggesting a 2nd hand paslode. If you do find a cordless 1st fix for not a lot of money it may be dodgy!

Back