1986 ELU TGS 172 back to work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.j.Ofurey

Reaction score
I pulled this out of a skip having watched the chippy lob it in there about seven years ago, he was clearing out his ( bombsite) van
And I was right place right time.
I was happy to find I could get a limited amount of spares on line ,so I got it running by fitting a new drive belt, a new plug and lead, I made some makeshift legs from scrap mains airline pipe, and made a few small parts on my mill.
It has been such a useful machine I decided to treat it to as many new parts as it needed, and were still available.
434EE68F-12BD-498C-85CB-7969973F37B9.jpeg
A10B6C3F-6301-4037-84D2-9AD1BC627394.jpeg

Attachments

• 3DA2A267-2946-45B9-9C5F-01B1C870507C.jpeg
    3DA2A267-2946-45B9-9C5F-01B1C870507C.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 36
So, after deciding the ELU had earned it’s place, I fitted new bearings to the drive motor, and blade carrier.
I did all these jobs a while ago, and the arrival of a batch of festering old motorcycles from America meant I had to lob a few of my lesser used power/machine tools into storage,as you can see they have suffered somewhat, but nothing we can’t fix.
If anybody had spares or is breaking an ELU I’m interested in parts.

I've got one of these, though I think mine is mitre only, not compound mitre. Can this one have the blade tilted filtered in tablesaw mode?

PS: How on earth did some one manage to cut so far into the table?! Oversize blade, or does removing the guarding allow you cut too deep with a stock blade?

I've got one of these, though I think mine is mitre only, not compound mitre. Can this one have the blade tilted filtered in tablesaw mode?

PS: How on earth did some one manage to cut so far into the table?! Oversize blade, or does removing the guarding allow you cut too deep with a stock blade?
hi thanks for reply, yes , the head moves to angles, about 45’ each way, the saw can be flipped @nd used as a bench saw too.beautifully built and robust, I look forwards to getting time to weld the table , although it looks to be galvanised, so that will cause issues.

Picked up a similar one about ten years ago from Fochabers, so possibly just beat you to it! Can confirm they are superb bits of kit. Mine's 110V and had been used professionally, but no real signs of wear. After a bit of rootling in the vendor's van he found the crown guard and various other bits. The only spare it's needed was the missing dust extractor hood for when it's used as a table saw. Unbelievably quiet while running.

It'll probably be the same as dewalt models, they were basically the same machines back then and I think dewalt then bought elu out?

pretty sure DeWalt bought Elu to take advantage of all their good kit......
I have an Elu pl/th thats now a Dewalt....prob cheaper parts n a paint job....
oh the pl/th the tabe swop over as mine was broken and found a DW would fit.........
Unknown-17.jpeg

Back