18th Essex Country Show, Barleylands (lots of pictures)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
At the weekend I got to take my son in law and the two grand children to the Essex Country Show. Loads of things to see. Here are a few pictures of the timber sawing displays.

Note guards where not removed :shock:

Dscn3030s.jpg

If the blade gets warm then damp it down.
Dscn3031s.jpg

A wave and a shout is required to get the blade up to speed.
Dscn3034s.jpg

The log is hand cranked passed the blade.
Dscn3036s.jpg

Splitters as required.
Dscn3038s.jpg

Another wave lets the power off once the cut is complete.
Dscn3040s.jpg

These chaps had started with a bigger log and cut some nice stock from it.
Dscn3049s.jpg

Dscn3052s.jpg

The Woodmiser was some what quicker to adjust and cut but its so noisy compared to the steam power :x
Dscn3056s.jpg

Dscn3060s.jpg

Dscn3063s.jpg

Dave,
I hoped you stepped forward as a volunteer, to help
dispose of some of that stock :D

TX

Well..... it would be rude not to.

Well I don't think I could get some of these rigs into the garden, let alone the workshop :shock:

It was quite impressive to see a 3' or 4' unguarded blade slicing through 12" of timber like it was fruit cake 8)

I did not get to bring home any of the timber, any one know what the pink one is in front of the woodmiser? I think the log he has on the saw is yew but I could wong. :roll:

Great pics, Dave. Thanks. I love watching logs being milled. I spent a good 20 minutes standing in torrential rain at the Southwest Forest Woodfair watching Anton Coaker plank a walnut trunk. Of course the constant rain brought out all the beautiful colours in the walnut like the boards were polished. Sigh. If only I'd had some way of getting it home (and the dough) I'd have bought the lot... :D

It does look like Yew on the Woodmiser, but the pink stuff? Well it looks awfully like pink ivory :shock: , but I'm surprised that doesn't arrive in this country already planked :? Mind you the only piece of pink ivory I've ever had was a lot smaller than that, so I'm probably way off.

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

There something special seeing the transformation. :D I got in to trouble for wanting to stand there passed Bronwyn’s attention span, bossed about by a 3 1/2 year old, what chance do I stand? :shock:

Back