18th edition compliance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novocaine

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody know if this is acceptable method of cable retention?
20200314_090733.jpg

(note, not my work so say what you want.)

Attachments

• 20200314_090733.jpg
    20200314_090733.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 333
I have no idea of it's compliance or otherwise, but if you pull up any old floor you'll find exactly this method used.

todays regs state that you have to use fixings that cam survive in a fire so that cables do not fall and trap friefighters etc. but if that was done some time ago its ok.

would you believe this is brand spanking new work on our extension and it's all the cables new cables from the CU. I've not mentioned yet that it's outside of a permitted zone too.

If that lot it is being plastered over then they will almost certainly be covered with a plastic capping in due course. I can only think this is a temporary arrangement until the electrician has bought some more capping / found the time to fit it/ finished running cables in the vicinity. However, it isn't compulsory that cables are capped (at least, not to my knowledge). The plastic capping is only really there to prevent damage whilst the plastering is being done.

scratch the permitted zone, I forgot about corners. :D

still not convinced that using cuts of cable is acceptable but screw it.

note to Mike, no, apparently they are finished on first fix. still haven't wired my damned workshop back up after they cut the cable in the first week of work.

You're the customer.
No one can claim that that is "good" workmanship. Just tell 'em "come on guys, get some proper clips or capping and do it right please". You don't want to be Cucumbering about with flaking plaster for the next decade.
And take photos of anything you're unhappy with so you can query it with whatever Part P organisation they are registered with.

I see it regularly this was a job I went to a few weeks ago :shock:

IMG_20200316_183948-0.jpg

If your new extension falls under building control ask the officer what he thinks

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_183948-0.jpg
    IMG_20200316_183948-0.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 217
Back