Quantcast

18th edition compliance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

MikeG.

Plodding on.
Reaction score
I have no idea of it's compliance or otherwise, but if you pull up any old floor you'll find exactly this method used.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
todays regs state that you have to use fixings that cam survive in a fire so that cables do not fall and trap friefighters etc. but if that was done some time ago its ok.

novocaine

Established Member
Reaction score
would you believe this is brand spanking new work on our extension and it's all the cables new cables from the CU. I've not mentioned yet that it's outside of a permitted zone too.

MikeG.

Plodding on.
Reaction score
If that lot it is being plastered over then they will almost certainly be covered with a plastic capping in due course. I can only think this is a temporary arrangement until the electrician has bought some more capping / found the time to fit it/ finished running cables in the vicinity. However, it isn't compulsory that cables are capped (at least, not to my knowledge). The plastic capping is only really there to prevent damage whilst the plastering is being done.

novocaine

Established Member
Reaction score
scratch the permitted zone, I forgot about corners. :D

still not convinced that using cuts of cable is acceptable but screw it.

note to Mike, no, apparently they are finished on first fix. still haven't wired my damned workshop back up after they cut the cable in the first week of work.

Sideways

Established Member
Reaction score
You're the customer.
No one can claim that that is "good" workmanship. Just tell 'em "come on guys, get some proper clips or capping and do it right please". You don't want to be Cucumbering about with flaking plaster for the next decade.
And take photos of anything you're unhappy with so you can query it with whatever Part P organisation they are registered with.