18mm ply drawer base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMarko

Reaction score
is their any reason not to use thick drawer bases, or it it only for weight reasons?
got a load of 18 mm ply to make a set of garage drawers, using 18 mm for the sides and backs, is it ok to use it for the base as well. and to screw it all together rather than rebates etc. I know its not the 'correct' way but other than weight cant see a reason not to.
Very much a amateur, so any advise would be welcome and appreciated.
Thank you

As you say, it’s for a garage so probably going to have heavy things in the drawers – wouldn’t do for a piece of quality furniture but perfectly acceptable and probably a good idea, the only thing I would suggest is that screwing into the edge of plywood is not a good idea and I would use a wooden batten running around the sides of the drawers underneath the base, yes you would lose some (20 mm) depth in your drawers but it will be a much stronger job and much less hassle to construct. Ian

Thank you for your reply Ian, that's a good idea. drawers are 900 mm wide and 275 deep so thought a heavy base would add strength, plenty deep enough so i could lose 20 m with no problem. Thank you

Thank you for your reply Ian, that's a good idea. drawers are 900 mm wide and 275 deep so thought a heavy base would add strength, plenty deep enough so i could lose 20 m with no problem. Thank you
In those dimensions the weight will be quite significant, and an additional strain on the runners , not nessacerily a game changer but something to bear in mind. If you follow cabinetman's advice on resting the ply on a rail running around the edge you could always swap it out for something lighter if needed. I would say its overkill, but if you've already got it you might aswell use it.

No reason why you can't 18mm but decent heavy weight runners will save you grief further down the line as you bung more and more treasures into what will already be heavy drawers :)

I would not. It is not expensive to buy a sheet of say 9mm ply (or 6mm depending on what the weight inside will be) and this would be better. Save the sheet of 18mm for another project.

I've recently made about 40 ply drawers. 15mm sides (because that is the size for Blum runners) and 9mm bases. The drawers are up to 600mm deep by 1220mm wide at the largest size and they are quite heavy. The runners are rated to 60kg and the heavier you make the drawer the more you compromise capacity.

I rebate my drawer bottoms in all round as I think it does a better job.

Question - Can you adapt the 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 method of drawers for different thickness of wood? e.g. For 18mm use 9, 9, 9?? Or is it not that simple? I've never used the method but looks good and straightforward.

Question - Can you adapt the 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 method of drawers for different thickness of wood? e.g. For 18mm use 9, 9, 9?? Or is it not that simple? I've never used the method but looks good and straightforward.
Can you explain the 1/4, 1/4, 1/4, method?

Im intrigued !!!

Cheers James

I use the 1/4 system and have a dedicated setup for it, but you can use the same method for any material thickness if you work on a 1/2 system this explains as well: Drawer boxes

Its for a garage, just screw and glue everything, it will be fine, it will not fall apart.

Watch this. There a few videos on YT
I'm defo going to try it now got a 6mm groove blade for table saw

He almost makes me want to throw away my blade guard and buy a dado head :LOL:

Don't run 5" wide pieces of wood on edge over the top of an unguarded saw, there is a good chance it won't end well. If you must do it cut the rebates 🐰on a wider piece that you can get a few drawer ends out of then rip it down in to the individual drawer ends once you have cut the rebates.

He almost makes me want to throw away my blade guard and buy a dado head :LOL:

Don't run 5" wide pieces of wood on edge over the top of an unguarded saw, there is a good chance it won't end well. If you must do it cut the rebates 🐰on a wider piece that you can get a few drawer ends out of then rip it down in to the individual drawer ends once you have cut the rebates.
Good shout Doug. Would you use a taller fence also?

Can you explain the 1/4, 1/4, 1/4, method?

Im intrigued !!!

Cheers James
I had to look it up too. The Quarter-Quarter-Quarter Drawer System | THISisCarpentry
Seems I've been doing it for years - only with small lightweight boxes with 6mm sides - tops and bottoms glued on with no joints.
And only with a TS blade which is about 3mm. No special cutters
Wouldn't be strong to have the base hanging off that little cross grain ledge unless you have the runners underneath and not on the sides - as he shows in the link.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back