18g 18v Nailer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I need an 18g brad nailer, think narrowed it down to two but not sure which to buy.

I am on the 18v Makita platform so the their DFN350Z seems the obvious choice but they class it as light duty and it's max is 35mm brads, also expensive and out of stock in a few places.

The other option is the Ryobi and one of the battery adapters but that seems a bit clunky.

I know I could get a compressor etc for the same money but I need totally cordless.

Anybody know much about the Makita, think it's quite new and there isn't that much info out there about it. I do have a 16g Paslode which I can use when I need longer nails.

I'm leaning towards the Makita as used their stuff for years without problem.

Last question the Makita is £100 cheaper at Powertoolmate than it is elsewhere, sure I've used them before and they have been fine but they do get some bad reviews, anyone use them regularly?

Thanks, Doug

Can't speak for the Makita 18g but I get on well with the 23g and stapler. I have the Ryobi and like it for what I've done with it which is softwood trim and mouldings. I got a Badaptor to use LXT batteries as, while the Ryobi ones were fine, they took forever to charge on the supplied charger. It doesn't add much bulk at all considering the size of it.

It sounds like you're wanting to sink longer nails which someone else will hopefully be able to comment on as I've never really pushed it on that front.

@Nelsun I hoped someone would reply who uses the Ryobi with a Badapter. Does the Badapter work okay, I imagined it all being a bit wobbly but sounds like you have no trouble with it?

I won't be using many long nails, like you it will mainly be softwood mouldings but always handy if it can do longer when needed.

@Nelsun I hoped someone would reply who uses the Ryobi with a Badapter. Does the Badapter work okay, I imagined it all being a bit wobbly but sounds like you have no trouble with it?

I won't be using many long nails, like you it will mainly be softwood mouldings but always handy if it can do longer when needed.
Can reply as I'm using the Ryobi with a Badaptor... It works great! Not really wobbly. Yes, you can wobble it a bit but it's not noticeable. The adaptor sits in the tool and the battery just slots in as if it were 'native'.
And - more important - the nailer seems to work well. No jams yet and a consistent driving of brads.

I have another option. On Amazon they do a Ryobi copy called Enegitec or something.
It is £120 or thereabouts and the kicker is it uses Makita 18v batteries natively.
Might be worth a go.

Ollie

I've seen no real wobble - it just slots in and away you go. The main thing I'm minful of when using battery adaptors is that you'll likely (dunno for sure though) not get the same battery protection you get when using all Makita "star" enabled kit. Thankfully the nailer isn't a high drain tool.

Just to conclude this in the end I went with the Ryobi and a Badaptor. I really wanted the Makita but saw a few reviews saying it lacked power and wouldn't sink nails in hardwood (although they do market it as light duty and for softwood so I guess to be expected).

Have had a quick play with the Ryobi and it seems to work fine but not used it in anger yet. The Badaptor works really well, when it's in place the Makita batteries just clip on and off like it's a Makita tool.

Only problem is the green hurts my eyes, I might have to take a spray can to it!

Thanks for all the advice, I am a real tool snob and would never have bought a Ryobi without the views/advice of people on here 😂😂😂

Some pics if anyone interested

All the pieces (it's a 2ah battery, I like the compact batteries for my drills)

nailer 1.jpg

Badaptor in place

nailer 2.jpg

Ready to go

nailer 3.jpg

Only problem is the green hurts my eyes, I might have to take a spray can to it!
A good friend advised me: If you have a tool that's less than 6" high, you need two of it.

Unless it's red

In this case, lurid green has a similar effect (but I can still lose it in the chaos that's my workshop!)

yes the makita is pants and is constantly annoying as it lacks grunt.
I brought mine much cheaper than new almost unused....now I know why!

Tools & Stuff has a review of the new XGT 40v 18g nailer. It looks like Makita have finally... nailed it.

yes the makita is pants and is constantly annoying as it lacks grunt.
I brought mine much cheaper than new almost unused....now I know why!

Sorry to hear that.......... feel a bit guilty though as it makes me glad I didn't go for the Makita 😐

Had a few hundred nails through the Ryobi and it's working fine so far, a couple of misfires but no blockages or anything.

Don't look at their 18v glue gun either as it's quite handy too :geek:

Yeah thanks for that, it does look quite handy and I don't have a glue gun, there goes another £40 🙄

Had a few hundred nails through the Ryobi and it's working fine so far, a couple of misfires but no blockages or anything.

I have used the Ryobi extensively and I’m very pleased with it. The only minor issue I’ve found is that it doesn’t like cold weather. If I’ve left it in the shed over a cold night then I have to bring it indoors an hour or so before using it to warm it up a bit.

I have used the Ryobi extensively and I’m very pleased with it. The only minor issue I’ve found is that it doesn’t like cold weather. If I’ve left it in the shed over a cold night then I have to bring it indoors an hour or so before using it to warm it up a bit.

That is good to know thank you, my Paslode 2nd fix nailer doesn't like cold mornings either, you have to warm up the gas, hoping I would be getting away from that going for battery only.

My only minor niggle so far is the Ryobi doesn't stand up upside down (handle up) if you know what I mean. I don't know if other nailers do but my Paslode does and that's how I'm used to putting it down on the floor when I'm working, it's quicker to pick up and not as far to bend. It does stand up on it's base resting on the front of the battery and the front of nail magazine but it's not very stable and it's a bit heavy to hang off my belt.

Not a deal breaker and not something you would miss if you hadn't done it before but it's just what I'm used to doing 🙁

My only minor niggle so far is the Ryobi doesn't stand up upside down (handle up) if you know what I mean.
Not a deal breaker and not something you would miss if you hadn't done it before
Well... I hadn't done it before - and I do miss it! Whether I make it worse because I use a Badaptor, I don't know - but the lack of ability to stand up bugs me.

Latest posts

Back