1850s Henry Disston handsaw - ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a stunning saw!

I bet that guy wondered what hit him with the mother lode at an auction....a real gem!

I don't really think anyone can dispute that the old toolmakers back then may not have had anything but primitive materials but what they did with it is nothing short of perfection!

Thanks for posting Toby!

Jim

Further proof that we are all perfectly sane on this forum as we swap stories about old tools bought for a few quid. Hands up anyone who has ever spent that much on an old tool!

It's also potentially useful evidence that all old tools are not the same!

Hmmm....bent blade, not sharp, needs a good clean. Still, 26" 6tpi crosscut would be handy. Well, there was a thread recently on straightening bent sawblades, and there's plenty on sharpening and on cleaning tools if the buyer wants to have a read of the forum. A day's work would give him a useful tool. Cant help thinking he'd have found something for a bit less than $4000 if he'd just been a bit more patient...

I had one like that in the shed...but I can't find it! :| :oops:

Perhaps it's just a Disston memory! :oops:

Ok...rules about coats in the summer...I think there should be some leeway!! :mrgreen:

Jim

American collectors are in a different league.

I emailed Eric from the Disstonian Institute ( http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/ ) to see if he had any further information on it, but he hadn't seen one either; a rare saw indeed. He commented that:

"Obviously I don't have one of those models at home. It's not the most attractive
design, but it's certainly drawn the collectors with cash. I think it will be
profiled in the MWTCA quarterly publication when the buyer has cleaned
it up and written an article about it. He's likely a member of that
group."

May see more of it yet.

Back