16amp socket advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny enough I'm going to replace the current rings in the house with radials, I did mean radial in the workshop maybe 2, one down each side, the reason i intend to put 2 db's in the workshop was so i could isolate all the machines at night. The supply i have at the moment is only a 60A domestic supply (max size fuse for a half clip cutout), going to contact DNO tomorrow to get new cutout and upgrade to 80A, as far as i am aware Northern Powergrid don't fit 100A in a domestic property

Firstly I would not bother using ring mains, old hat these days so instead run radials. Also use a single board rather than two, simplifies the cable runs from the level 1 board. The design has to start at the point of supply which I assume is a 100 amp domestic single phase supply or is it an industrial supply?

Spectric, thanks for the very informative post on 16A sockets. The rationale is logical, but not obvious!

bussy, I'd totally agree with having a single CU - much easier. Make it bigger than you need (i.e. house CU size), as then you can easily add a couple more circuits/machines in the future.

Evening all
I don't see why it is any more difficult to fit two cu's. I want all my large machines served by a dedicated mcbo, so that's 7 maybe 8 ways, two radials for sockets, two lighting, one outside lighting, cctv/alarm, so we are upto 13/14 ways plus leaving 20% of the board free as is good practice.

When you say large machines, what size motors are they? You only have an 80 amp supply to the property but can only use one machine at a time. I would say there is insufficient capacity to run another 13/14 way board in your workshop. If you wanted to use two boards then each must be fed from it's own protective device so you either run two cables from the level 1 board or run the second board from a protective device in the first board in your workshop but it is bad practice to supply two boards from a single protective device. I would suggest that you run a radial in 2.5mm from the board to an isolator and from here to multiple 16 amp sockets, one for each machine. These do not need to be isolators just sockets because you can turn them all off using the one isolator or unplug for local isolation of one machine. You need to workout the maximum load you may want to pull, think of a dark cold winters day where you want lights on, heating, dust extraction and using your largest machine, plus maybe a kettle! The one thing people often don't think about fitting is at least one battery backed emergency light, so if you are busy in the workshop and the missus decides to take a shower(assume electric) and overloads the system and you lose power you don't end up in pitch black amongst potentially dangerous machines and tools.

Hi Spectric
My intention was to split the supply (henley blocks) from the isolator just after the meter, one going to the house CU then run an armoured cable from a fused isolator(63A) to my new workshop at the top of the garden then split that to the two boards in the workshop. The max load from the workshop would be a 2.2Kw dust extractor and a 2.2Kw table saw plus lights (LED panels) as regards heating, if i decide to have any, my intention was to have a wood burner. I must say this is all just thoughts at the minute, still waiting to see what planning permission I need. I take the point of running a radial for all machines except the extractor will require it's own as the manufacturer recommends a 30A type C mcbo.
Thanks for taking the time to give advice it's much appreciated.
Nobody else in the house anymore !!

I have been running my workshop off a 13 amp spur from a household ring main. I was buying a bandsaw that allegedly needed a 16 amp socket so was concerned about the limitations of my supply. A post on this site produced a number of very helpful replies, one of which suggested that the requirement for a 16amp supply may be overkill and that an extension lead with a 13amp plug and 16amp socket might suffice. I decided to get the advice of a local electrician and he said exactly the same thing and that is what I have done. So far no problems. I am running a 3 hp lathe and fan heaters off the same 13 amp supply and (touching wood as I say it) I have never had the RCD or circuit breakers activated because of overload. However, despite my experience so far I am intending to increase the power to my workshop so I don't have to worry about it. Good luck with your project.

I have had a 16 amp socket fitted, in anticipation of getting a bandsaw, one of them I'm looking at says it needs a type C breaker, my CU has type B, is this going to be an issue as the CU (and breakers) are no longer produced, they seem difficult to get on the secondary market too.

I have had a 16 amp socket fitted, in anticipation of getting a bandsaw, one of them I'm looking at says it needs a type C breaker, my CU has type B, is this going to be an issue as the CU (and breakers) are no longer produced, they seem difficult to get on the secondary market too.
New 16 amp breaker (type B) has been added to CU. To run this socket.

Attachments

• 33857829-E999-4654-ABFE-15F8CD97B348.jpeg
    33857829-E999-4654-ABFE-15F8CD97B348.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 14
  • D921DD9F-6DA0-43EC-9949-A8F30DF7D700.png
    D921DD9F-6DA0-43EC-9949-A8F30DF7D700.png
    202.2 KB · Views: 14
Back