165/170 degree kitchen hinge for 18mm inset door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
I think I've asked this before, but here goes anyway!
My wife wants to install pull-out wire baskets in a free-standing kitchen unit that has inset doors(which are 18mm thick. Sadly, the hinges only open to around 90 degrees, which means that one side of the basket will remain inaccessible.
I'm sure there is a solution to this, but I'm buggered if I can find the right parts.
My eternal gratitude can be yours, if you can point me at some Blum or equivalent part numbers.

John

P.S.
Would these work?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180674374709&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hi John

The hinge you have found is for a lay on door, to use this you would have to pack out the cabinet side where the hinge goes to in affect make it lay on. does that make sense? Hafele do a similar with a 18mm mounting plate though.

hope this helps Chrispy

Hello,

Hafele have the hinge you want reference 31605615. (12mm crank).They are for inset doors up and open to 177 degrees. Dont forget to order the mounting plate. BK servicves sell all the hafele stuff if you dont have a Hafele account.

Regerds,

LB.

Chrispy":2rqlzjd4 said:
Hi John

The hinge you have found is for a lay on door, to use this you would have to pack out the cabinet side where the hinge goes to in affect make it lay on. does that make sense? Hafele do a similar with a 18mm mounting plate though.

hope this helps Chrispy

The part numbers I gave are for the dual style overlaid door, and an 8.5mm high mounting plate. I believe this combination will achieve what I want, but I will look at the Hafele part.

Hi John

I've looked up in the blum book the parts you picked out and yes I think they will do what you want, but for some reason they recomend the 155 degree hinge 71T7640N , I think this is because the door will clear the drawer space sooner.

Regards Chrispy

Well, I can't find that Blum part number at Isaac Lord, Rutlands have it, but I would need 18mm mounting plates, so I'm not sure what the gain would be in terms of useable width.

As the unit currently has insert doors, I assume they are fixed with butt hinges, if wrong this won't help. Replace the butt hinges with crank hinges, say 10mm of crank, that will do it. Doors will open about 120o and you will see a bit of the hinge when the doors are in the closed position, which can be coloured or brass, depends what you like!
c hinge.jpg
Hope this helps...bosshogg :)

Attachments

• c hinge.jpg
    c hinge.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 103
71T7640N has an 8mm crank ie is the same as your dual application hinge and it will still need the same 8/9mm mounting plate

The diagram in the book says that the 170 deg hinge takes up more space and swings the door into the cabinet space more than the 155 deg.

Isaac lord are very helpful if you phone them i'm sure they will have some or would get them for you!

Hi John,

Remember me you kindly ordered some T-Track a while back for me from Rutlands. Just incase you dont know if you need anything from the Hafele catalogue you can get it from BOYALLS high st, Hampton hill which isnt far from you.

Can be done as this oneshows only thing is I can't remember what I did in the end but think I used a batten down the side and normal 0mm height plates as it worked better than 18mm plates.

If you can wait a couple of days I'll be working next door to that house and can pop in and take a look.

As you say the hinges still protrude into the carcase and I think the door still overhangs the edge so you need to pack out one side of the carcase and then size the baskets to suit.

J

bosshogg":cwg1fl9p said:
As the unit currently has insert doors, I assume they are fixed with butt hinges, if wrong this won't help. Replace the butt hinges with crank hinges, say 10mm of crank, that will do it. Doors will open about 120o and you will see a bit of the hinge when the doors are in the closed position, which can be coloured or brass, depends what you like!
Hope this helps...bosshogg :)
No, the doors currently have concealed hinges(Blum, in fact) but they only open to about 90 degrees.

[/quote]
No, the doors currently have concealed hinges(Blum, in fact) but they only open to about 90 degrees.[/quote]

Blum hinges come in various opening configurations, 110 140 & 180 degree openings, you sometimes have to fit them on pack out spacers (plastic clip together plates, same shape as the metal bases) this is to give the correct clearance. When I was doing kitchen and replacement door fitting, I collected a lot of the old hinge styles, Blum included, if you could post a series of pics to allow me to identify yours I could perhaps find the right ones and send them to you?...bosshogg :)
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.
Albert Einstein (hammer) (hammer)

No, the doors currently have concealed hinges(Blum, in fact) but they only open to about 90 degrees.[/quote]

Blum hinges come in various opening configurations, 110 140 & 180 degree openings, you sometimes have to fit them on pack out spacers (plastic clip together plates, same shape as the metal bases) this is to give the correct clearance. When I was doing kitchen and replacement door fitting, I collected a lot of the old hinge styles, Blum included, if you could post a series of pics to allow me to identify yours I could perhaps find the right ones and send them to you?...bosshogg :)
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.
Albert Einstein (hammer) (hammer)
[/quote]

That is very kind of you, and I may take you up on that offer, but in the meantime I have found these:
http://www.eurofitdirect.co.uk/screw-on-170-inset
which look like they might do the job. Anyone have experience of "Ferrari" hinges?

I think you will have the same issues with those as you do with Blums, although the door will swing back further it still overhangs the carcase.

A 95deg inset looses about 25mm from carcase to door edge and say another 12mm to clear the actual hinge. So total loss of opening is 37mm

IMAG0053.jpg

A 170mm hinge on 18mm baseplate or a packing block/strip looses about 16mm but say another 25mm plus for the hinge. So total loss is more like 40mm (the bit with the 16mm writen on it would be the block or 18mm plate) The only real advantage from having the wider opening is the inside of the door does not get scratched up by the basket/inner draw.

IMAG0055.jpg

J

I want the wider opening so that it's possible to access both sides of the pull-out basket. However, I have a couple of hinges here, and, inspired by Jason's photos, I will make my own mock-up with three pieces of MDF.

OK, here's a picture(taken with my phone, as my camera has a "lense error"), of a standard 165/170 degree hinge and improvised 18mm spacer blocks.
The hinges intrude by about 50mm in the carcase space, and the door itself by around 15mm. It remains to be seen whether any of the other specialized hinges do better than this.
If the pull-out baskets clear the door, I think I can move them vertically to miss the hinges, alternatively I may have to get 450mm baskets at sacrifice some space at the hinge side. Whatever happens it will be better than it is now, as we have no idea what is at the back of the cupboard.

Attachments

• IMG00104-20110815-0840.jpg
    IMG00104-20110815-0840.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 11
Back