160 Half lap joints ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rth

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I need some advice on the following please..

I have to cut 160 half lap joints in softwood 45 x 145 x 6000mm, it is too time consuming and downright difficult to attempt by hand therefor I'm thinking of a radial arm saw, does anyone know of such a machine with a cutting depth of at least 80mm or another method of doing the job, thanks.

Could you gang a few pieces together at a time and use a router and jig/guide ?

Cheers, Paul

Cross-cut the shoulders first, then bandsaw off the waste. With a blade from Ian John at Tuffsaws you should get a finish that is ready for gluing.

Or cut the waste off vertically on the tablesaw. You will need alternative guarding and a jig to hold it upright, but that is quite straightforward. That is assuming, of course, that have mis-typed the length. Are you really handling piece 6metres long? If so, scrap the TS idea!

Steve

Thanks for the replies, the joints are 300mm from the end, the cut is 72.5mm, ie half the depth

I would have posted a picture but my"account" on here will not allow it...........unfortunately, a picture paints a thousand words...when allowed..

PS The length IS 6 metres with a joint at each end

Ah, so they are not all at corners. That precludes the bandsaw idea.
RAS with a dado set then ( or LOTS of cuts with a thin-kerf blade.....)
:)
Steve
EDIT - Even that is not going to be easy, is it? It would mean using the blade to a 3" depth of cut and most dado sets won't do that.
I think you are going to have to cut the shoulders with a RAS and then just belt out the waste with a mallet and chisel. Think how fit you'll get!

rth":3ur81cf5 said:
I would have posted a picture but my"account" on here will not allow it...........unfortunately, a picture paints a thousand words...when allowed..
One more post, to make 3, then from your 4th you'll be able to post pictures .......

Clamp 10-12 of them together and then use a circ saw against a straight edge to cut the two sides then either keep sawing to chew out the waste or knock most out with a chisel and then run the saw through to level the bottom of the cut.

J

RogerP":3gp2i56u said:
rth":3gp2i56u said:
One more post, to make 3, then from your 4th you'll be able to post pictures .......

Here's to number 4 then and the picture the nation has been waiting for... :D

rth":2ltiudsu said:
RogerP":2ltiudsu said:
rth":2ltiudsu said:

Here's to number 4 then and the picture the nation has been waiting for... :D
Great! Go for it :)

from the pic you see the problem, a 72.5 depth of cut..............some good advice here though, I like the dado blade idea and clamping a few together will help in alignment, many thanks..

ed618289.jpg

Am I mistaken is a half lap joint the same as a cross halving joint? Or am I using an Americanism?

Ah, James, I'm glad it's not just me!
I originally had envisaged a corner joint, half and half. I know that as a lap joint. The picture shows what I know as a cross-halving joint. I dare say they both have other names in other places.. Hence the confusion over using a bandsaw...
S

I did a quick search and half lap seems to bring up a bunch more american sites than uk ones and cross halving seems to be more our side of the pond.

I may be wrong though.

MickCheese":3a9qxjhm said:
What are you making, a log cabin?

Mick
Well done, I am chucking this up........
f9763807.jpg
and making a garage to suit from 100mm x 180mm x 6m timber hence the joints.

Being new here I am not too sure what can be posted but if it is alright I will add posts when I get started on the house ?

Latest posts

Back